VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]34 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sun, February 27 2005, 21:07:47
Author: bobbya
Subject: My rant on Maverick Basketball and standings and such

first lets take a look at the womens side

Uta is at 11-3, as is monroe...however if monroe wins out and we do as well ULM holds the tiebreaker as a result of a 2-0 record against NWST while we went 1-0. Pretty crappy, but thats how it works.

On the mens side

5. Lamar 8-7
6. McNeese State 7-7
7. Texas State 7-7
8. Texas Arlington 6-8
9. Stephen F. 6-8

Currently we hold the tiebreaker over SFA because we are 2-0 against McNeese, they are 1-1. So I think that if we go 1-1 this week we can still get in, because SFA plays San Antonio and ULM, meaning they will likely go 1-1, although I know we can't count on that. Even so, we will still get our brains beat by SHSU or SELA in the opening round.

The Tiebreaker states this---If the 2 tied teams split their games during the regular season, or if they only played each other once, then the tied teams won-loss results against the next highest positioned team which played both teams twice shall be compared.

Now, onto the mens side of things. Steven Thomas looked AWFUL...let me repeat AWFUL against UTSA. If he doesn't get a call, he stands there and looks at the ref instead of getting back on defense. He should not have been 5-16, he had about 5 oppurtunities on putbacks and easy lay ins that he missed. I'm sorry to rag on the guy, but he either had an off game or he is falling off the charts. Don't get me wrong, his leadership has been great.

Once again Coach McCarter got into an argument with the ref, and had to be physically restrained by Posey in the second half. It really seems like this happens every game and the guy is starting to get frustrated. However, there is NO reason for fans to be talking trash about his parents, as some hecklers did at SFA, as I heard from some of our fans.

On the women's side, Krystal was back to her usual form, no production on the offensive end. IMO, this is how I see it when she comes in. She dribbles up, stands in one place for about 8 seconds, tries to force a bad pass, its not the same Krystal we have seen before. There seems to be no motion to the offense when they are on the court, everyone stands around. And that is why we keep teams in games when we are realistically the most athletic team in the Southland. We should be running and gunning.

Guys, we are outsized on the mens team. Our starting lineup had the tallest guy at 6'5, while they had 3 guys over 6'6. The opening tip was Guidry vs. Fuqua. We are giving it our all for a half, but when we get a 6 point lead we seem to stop pushing and try to play as if we are protecting something. This has got to stop. We also need to recruit some big guys. The ball gets ripped out of our hands SOOO much during games because we are weak. This team needs a month straight in the weight room.

The Southland is changing. You see teams like Wichita State getting considered for at-larges when they beat no one at all, and I think if you put SELA or NWST or Lamar in a better conference they could hang. UTSA only lost to Wichita State by 5, but yet they are getting hype for an at large. Billy Tubbs won't be letting up anytime soon on the recruiting end, and its good to see we are finally going out of state and looking at guys around the nation. Screw all these Houston kids, lets look elsewhere. My two cents. I probably have more to add but can't think now. Lets start a good discussion on this.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.