VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Thu, December 16 2004, 17:49:05
Author: Duck_Mav
Subject: Re: I Actually Heard an Adult Say This
In reply to: 91 's message, "Re: I Actually Heard an Adult Say This" on Thu, December 16 2004, 13:47:28

"... it's gonna be student/alumni/ private money to fund it.(football) That's harder to imagine sometimes."

I appreciate your two cents' worth. Actually, it is the fiscal argument that has me alarmed. We are funding a division 1 athletic program almost entirely through student money. Alumni/private money amounts to maybe 1/10th of the overall budget. It appears to me that we are nearing the maximum we can expect to squeeze out of the students.

If the $2 per hour tax ever gets collected, it will likely be the last trip to the trough for a long time. To their credit, the pro-athletics faction at least had a vote: various other taxing authorities merely announce increased fees and tuition amounts.

Perhaps with a new arena our basketball teams will be able to generate significant donor revenue. That would be through greater alumni/private contributions hopefully generated by a successful program. I'm afraid we will need increased external giving just to keep the school at the division 1 level. The only other option will be to encourage external giving via football, which I think we have mentioned once or twice before.

What I'm trying to say, again, is that we have to move ahead. We do not have the option to stay where we are. I still question the economics of arena going first, but que sera', sera'- UTA won't be considered a major player until we have BOTH arena and football.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.