VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Mon, September 27 2004, 22:58:29
Author: UTA_alum
Subject: Doing my part

I went to the Concerned Taxpayers of Arlington (CTA) meeting tonight. It was in Pantego.

A UTA economics professor spoke at the junction about the real economic impact of bringing the Cowboys to Arlington would be. Very insightful.

It turns out that Dr. Depken II, Craig A. is quite the expert. He economics background has been specifically with the economics of sports and stadium building. And he's been doing it for years.

He worked hard to remain objective and present just the facts. But the facts were overwhelmingly against the Jones'es and their proposed $325 million tax hike for some random cowboy football team that is from dallas.

He has been researching this material for years; he has read, and understands, the ERA report; he has read, and understands, the actual agreement.

Here are some "Did ya knows" about this whole deal,

Did ya know:

1. This is only the first agreement. There will likely be five more. So, in fact, what Arlington residents are voting on, is to give Arlington politicians the right to negotiate down the road. That means change the deal. It means voters will lose the right to make decisions later in the other agreements.

2. Section 7.12 in this agreement is a Non-Compete clause. The city of Arlington will not be able to support UTA in ANY effort to rebuild a football team. This also includes building a basketball arena/convention center. Demographically, UNT has the same students as UTA. Their stadium is not that large, but they seated almost 30,000 fans for their football game against Baylor. According to this rule, UTA will not be allowed to schedule any games against major teams over the next 30 (THIRTY) years. What if UTA got a team, and what if it were good. What if TSU, McNeese, SELA and UTA all had such good teams, that sometime during the nexty 30 years, we went into I-A football. We would not be able to play a major team that could draw even a large UT or Aggie crowd.

How can we predict the next 30 years? Who know what the future might hold? FSU went from football nothingness to a real powerhouse in 12 years. We would have to wait 30 years before even trying to get big.

Well, I did my part.

I asked the person facilitating the meeting if I could say something to the audience. He was eager to ablige.

There were about 100-120 homeowners and residents in the audience and I gave them a message. I did exactly what I said we should do with this audience, embrace them.

I started by trying to gain their confidence. They were really excited to see a UTA student talking to them. I don't think they've ever had anything like that before. But some of you know me, you know I have some strong opinions. But I held them back.

I talked to them about what I know - mass communications (advertising, marketing communications). I covered some of their strengths which they probably already knew, but then I discussed with them what the impact of their efforts actually was. I won't go into that. Someone may be reading this. But I told them where the Jones'es had weaknesses in their marketing/advertising and where they could be exploited and how the CTA could move into a favorable position.

They were very receptive. In the end, I told them this. I love UTA, my school. I love the degree that I have. I love our athletic programs. I love that we stomped all over the Big XXII last year in baseball, and that got them excited. A lady stood up and said "don't forget about volleyball!"

At that moment, I realized that I had done what I came to do. I impacted them and it was heartfelt. I won over some new UTA fans.

I said this, "Dallas doesn't need to come to Arlington, we've already got a home team. We're called the Mavericks."

And they stood and they cheered. My only request of them was that they attend some of our games. I said, "Be a fan". Afterward, I spoke with several of their organiztional leaders and told them about our websites and how they could interact with the UTA community, so don't be shy.

Here's a fact. UTA will get nothing from the Jones'es or their football team. In fact, their coming here WILL be prohibitive against UTA building a stronger athletics program. According to the agreement, only the Texas Rangers and Ameriquest Field will have a right to grow and hold large events - FOR THE NEXT THIRTY (30) YEARS.

If you can live with 30 years of PROHIBITION, then by all means, vote for the Jones'es.

-mwr

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.