VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Tue, September 28 2004, 9:53:13
Author: 91
Subject: Re: Doing my part
In reply to: UTA_alum 's message, "Doing my part" on Mon, September 27 2004, 22:58:29

Too many what-ifs on the non-compete thing. If UTA played football and got good and expanded the stadium, no money would come from the city anyway. It would come mostly from the UT system or donors or within the school itself. So that's apples and oranges. But UTA having a 30,000-seat crowd for football when TCU, SMU, UNT rarely or never do it is not a realistic or pressing worry in my opinion.

The arena thing would have a tough time, in my mind, sticking as far as non-compete too. Unless it's competing for the same events, and I know something like the AAC could to some degree compete for concerts and stuff. But I don't see how a 5,000-seat gym or special events center would be competing with the Cowboys. Methinks that the team would have a tough time enforcing that. But it might be a design consideration of a new building. But again, if it's a major sponsor, donor, fund raising campaign, bonds not issued by the city that builds the facility, technically the city ain't competing. Maybe one could be built "with the intent of having university commencement exercises, guest speakers and university-sponsored athletic events"--no moreso than some of the local high school gyms competing with Texas Stadium. I can see Jones wanting to protect his interest to make sure he's the only major venue in town. Like we've talked about before, the major acts are going to play Nokia Live or Will Rogers Colisseum or TCCC before they'd play in Arlington I'd think anyway.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.