VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Tue, September 28 2004, 13:30:42
Author: UTA_alum
Subject: Re: Doing my part
In reply to: giantbenmav 's message, "Re: Doing my part" on Tue, September 28 2004, 10:43:07

All good points.

More speculation from me - Are you all saying that it is absolutely impossible for the city to contribute in any way, shape, form or fashion, as if the city has never contributed before?

That doesn't explain how the new Continuing education center was built. I thought it was built with a portion of city funds. If it was done once, it could be done again.

And what about the basketball arena. It certainly won't be a 25,000 seat arena, but it won't be as small as 5,000 either. Originally, it was proposed for 10,000. But somehow, it will have to involve the city.

Who can predict the future of UTA? We can shape it, mold it for success, and it can be statistically measure it, but we can't predict it. Some people think McCarter is a great coach, time will tell. If he is great and his recruiting skills are as good as you say they are, then there is the possibility it will grow beyond our narrow scope of yesterdays world.

It is possible. Anything is possible. But somehow - the city will be involved in at least one way - no matter how small or great. But what the Jones' tax does is prohibit the city from ANY involvement. Not just great involvement, but ANY.

That's a NO GO.

So this can't be seen as UTA will grow big, and UTA will get donations, and the city will need to do nothing to help facilitate that growth. The Technology Incubator facilitates growth and the city is involved.

And about those concerts.

Who knew that three years ago, Ex.C.E.L. Campus Activities was actively persuing Pat Green and friends to come and play at Maverick Stadium? Anyone? anyone? Yes. It is true. The largest reason it did not come through was because of scheduling. Pat green was on tour and had his schedule. UTA rents out the stadium and has their schedule. They couldn't come together. Plus there was a price negotiating issue.

However, Pat Green has played to crowds larger than 25,000. Example, in Houston last year, there was 135,000.

So it can happen. We're talking about statistic or probabilty though. We're just talking about even having the option.

whether we do or don't, we still just need to have the option and the room for growth and can't afford to be short-sighted or (and I hate to say this) narrow-minded.

-Peace and hairgrease

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.