VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Tue, September 28 2004, 14:33:24
Author: FoUTASW
Subject: My thoughts
In reply to: UTA_alum 's message, "Re: Doing my part" on Tue, September 28 2004, 13:30:42

After reading the last several posts, I have to sy I was skeptical. So I went to the city's website and found this:

Section 7.12. Non-Compete Covenant.
The City shall covenant that it will not, directly or indirectly, own, manage, operate,
control, finance (either directly or in any manner), sponsor, develop, provide City -owned land or
in any other way participate in or cooperate with (subject to applicable laws) any indoor or
outdoor sports, entertainment or multi- use venue or complex with an attendance capacity of more
than 25,000 and located anywhere within the City (other than Ameriquest Field).

So the city wouldn't be able to help is true. While personally I think it is stupid for the Jones' to think of UTA as competition, I still think the stadium should come to Arlington.

First of all, like previous posts have said, the majority of any football money would come from the UT System or the alumni.

Second of all, all the university and city has to do it plan a stadium or arena/convention center thing with 24,000 seats but the ability to expand down the road.
While we all want football to come back and grow leaps and bounds, it will take time. In a previous post it was said that UNT drew more than 30,000 to there game against Baylor. That game was at Baylor. UNT has had one home game this season and it drew 15,000+. TCU has had three games on their campus this year and they have averaged more than 29,000 and that is for a team that was considered BCS eligible at the beginning of the year.

It will take UTA a long time to need more than 25,000 seats. The first 15 years or so, they will be like North Texas and Texas State, playing big teams on the road to earn money for the program, while they play lower schools like Tarleton St. in non-conference and the normal conference opponents at home.

If they play this type of schedule, they will gain the money and the recruits to build a stronger team, and in 30 years, the team may be able to expand the stadium.

The same goes for a multi-purpose arena. Why build a huge arena the seats 25,000, when only 1,000 come to the games? Start small and have phases. Start with a 10,000 seat arena (Which would probably be one of the biggest in the conference) Then as needed, you could expand on it.

Personally I think that the stadium will be far more beneficial for the city. It will provide exposure to the city and bring in quite a bit of money. The agreement says that the sales tax increase will be a half of 1 percent. There will also be a tax on hotels, rental cars, tickets and parking. That way the citizens only have to deal with the sales tax, and the majority of the people that live in that city, hate shopping at the Parks mall, so they go to Fort Worth or Dallas to shop for most of their stuff.

It would be better for Jones to pay for his own stadium, but I don't think the half of 1 percent is reasonable for the benefits.

For what it's worth

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.