VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sun, October 03 2004, 10:58:51
Author: SLU00
Subject: possible move to the Big 12 !!

No Southeastern is not contemplating a move to the Big 12 :)

Its me personally, I might be making a move to that small little closet over in the corner of the Big 12's basement also known as the Baylor Bears.

Short Version: my chosen area of study as a sociology grad student is soc. of religion. There are no faculty members here at Tulane who do much at all in this area of study. Well I've finished my Masters and its time to move on to more advanced stuff -- and the way that works best and easiest is to latch on to a mentor.

Well it just so happens that Baylor, starting this year, has opened up a whole new track in this area in their program. They have collected 6 sociologists of religion which is pretty well unheard of. And they have also opened up a new interdisciplinary research center which collects loads of original data etc... Word is that they have been given the money to do whatever they see fit in soc of religion, and that soon they will be known as the best place in the U.S. to study it.

Well I haven't been accepted yet, but I have been corresponding with them and they say that they are interested in having me come there. At the risk of jinxing it, I'm fairly hopeful of getting in. Sociology of Religion is not one of the most popular areas, so there is not as much competition as there would likely be in some other areas.

If I do get in, I will finally get to see Texas Hall (yay!!!)

Anyway, my question to you all is: are there any among you who are 'in the know' about Waco? Whats the cost of living like there? My wife found something online that said cost there is about two thirds of what it is here in New Orleans. Sounds unlikely to me but what do I know.

Are there whole sections of town there that are bad news? We are hoping to find something with a fenced yard so that our little house dogs can run out there and do their business, but still at a reasonable price. Are there rural areas within a 30 miinute drive of Baylor?

My wife also tells me that she sees seemingly affordable rental properties listed in the Brentwood and Lakeview areas often but of course we have no idea whether these neighborhoods are 'all right' and whether they would be convenient to school.

I realize ya'll can't answer all this in one fell swoop, but we wouldn't be moving until summer 2005 so we have some time to figure it out. So generally, what's the word on Waco?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.