Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...
[ Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Fri, November 12 2004, 16:40:08
Subject: Slim Jim Talks to the Old Mavs
In reply to:
's message, "Re: Sure - You're Invited" on Thu, November 11 2004, 23:53:36
Thanks for waiting up for me. Yes we had a meeting and Yes, Jim S. spoke to the group. He answered most of the questions but dodged the tough ones. For example, he never quite got around to answering whether or not Football and Arena are mutually exclusive, but I thought he made it clear that his number one priority is to replace Texas Hall, and he doubts our ability to support both.
He also did not say "no" to football, but made it exceedingly clear that he is NOT willing to say "yes" anytime soon. He doesn't appear to be concerned that the Athletics Expansion movement could lose momentum while he dithers.
His priorities appear to be Academics, Fundraising and Athletics, in that order. We all would agree with the first priority, and the second obviously supports the first, and the third is imperative to be successful in the second. But I got no impression that he sees any connection between potential fundraising and Athletics Expansion/Football.
He says he really wants to do a first-ever capital campaign at UTA, but I heard no talk whatsoever about any linkage between Athletics Expansion and such a campaign. I have to be honest: He won't be able to generate ANY support from UTA exes without the carrot of Athletics Expansion. It will be pissing in the wind to try, just as it was when Robert Witt tried to raise money for the baseball stadium. Unless football is part of the bargain, most of us will stay on the sidelines.
Without football, I will not have "a dog in the hunt" and will not give anything more than the few hundred bucks I give now. You will have to decide for yourself whether Jim is being wise, stupid, or just politically reptilian.
Don't get me wrong: The meeting was very cordial and all the questions were very polite. I'm just losing patience with the long-term runaround we have been getting.
Oh by the way, he says he seldom gets asked about football by the students. He doesn't seem to think they want it.
>I am taking not hearing anything as
>1. absolutely nothing happened of interest
>2. you are too busy partying your butt celebrating the
>possible return of football to UTA
>3. something else....
>well either way....did Pres Spaniolo speak at the
>meeting tonight......I did not get out of work until
>around 6:45 so I could not make it.......
Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
- Re: Slim Jim Talks to the Old Mavs -- giantbenmav, Fri, November 12 2004, 16:47:12
- Re: Slim Jim Talks to the Old Mavs -- Duck_Mav, Fri, November 12 2004, 17:57:58
- Re: Slim Jim Talks to the Old Mavs -- an appalled 91, Fri, November 12 2004, 21:44:19
- Re: Slim Jim Talks to the Old Mavs -- Duck, Fri, November 12 2004, 23:41:03
- Prelude to a Bigger Fundraising Campaign to Bring Us Football -- Duck_Mav, Sat, November 13 2004, 15:34:23
- Re: Prelude to a Bigger Fundraising Campaign to Bring Us Football -- UTA alum, Sun, November 14 2004, 14:23:07
- ideas? -- giantbenmav, Sun, November 14 2004, 14:32:31
- Re: ideas? -- uta alum, Mon, November 15 2004, 10:57:11
- Re: ideas? -- giantbenmav, Mon, November 15 2004, 11:56:40
[ Contact Forum Admin ]
Forum timezone: GMT-6|
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.