VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sun, November 14 2004, 14:23:07
Author: UTA alum
Subject: Re: Prelude to a Bigger Fundraising Campaign to Bring Us Football
In reply to: Duck_Mav 's message, "Prelude to a Bigger Fundraising Campaign to Bring Us Football" on Sat, November 13 2004, 15:34:23

what did i tell ya. spaniolo will keep the football issue open for a long time and not do anything.

but i don't think we should be waiting for him to do something. i think he's waiting for US to do something.

showing up at a volleyball game is something i support. it's a good thing. showing up blue in the face, after talking to everyone you know and trying to bring them with you is a whole other challenge.

i told my friends about every home game this season, they just didn't care about volleyball. maybe they'll be there for basketball.

i go by the church groups too. i see them at the cornerstone just doing nothing on friday night, game night. it's really pathetic because they weren't there doing any church stuff, they weren't praying or worshiping, the were gathering because they were bored and nothing better to do. they were playing foosball, out side on the patio (being visible and practically begging someone to come talk to them).and don't question me on this one because i live across the street, i know there schedule and events and i see them all the time.

but no one has ever approached them and said hey, you can have a good time here too! now you can have foosball, God and UTA, all together.

the whole point is that there are A LOT of untapped people here. no one is there reaching out to them.

but if you're not convinced they need someone to talk to them, look at this:

fraternities wouldn't survive if they didn't recruit. these on campus churches probably wouldn't have as much participation if they didn't make a big deal out of it. people go to Fort Worth and Dallas to have a good time because fort worth and dallas have reputations that remind people they'll have a good time.

what does UTA athletics have? nothing. never have. but I'm an optimist sometimes too. and I am convinced that if Kmak and Carlon started putting effort into recruiting FANS and started making a big deal out of UTA athletics, then we'd get fans.

Locally, UT-Austin and Tech and A&M don't have to do that much recruiting just to get students in the door. They show up with a booth and people come to them. They want to be there.

That's what athletics does for a university. It makes it a place where people want to be, and they want to be active. UTA struggles to get students, and who do we get - the lazy, the uninterested and those who don't care. We get the left-overs.

You can't change that with academics. 20,000 people won't show up for a chess tournament. If you increase the visibility of ahtletics, you'll find more students who want to be involved, more students who care about their grades too and will ultimately promote the university when they advance in their careers. they won't need alumni honors just to be a fan.

you know what UTA has to do. you already know what you have to do. leave your meetings and go to a place where you can reach to students and the future student. get them EXCITED about something, anything. Just get them excited about UTA. that's what a visible athletics program does.

Texas is probably one of the three most competitive states in the nation. NY/NJ (as one) california too. If you don't have athletics in Texas, then you're not visible. You're invisible.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.