VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Wed, November 17 2004, 9:36:37
Author: giantbenmav
Subject: Re: mavs look decent at times....sloppy at others
In reply to: bobbya 's message, "mavs look decent at times....sloppy at others" on Tue, November 16 2004, 22:52:30

I have to agree with most of you points, but I think the team played pretty well overall...the shots were not falling, but they were good looks so I expect them to fall later on.....This team is going to RUN, there was very little attention to the post players....and of course the usual lack of off the ball movement.......but these guys play very tough man-man defense....It looks like we have 5 guards that can receive time this year, so it would not suprise me to see a pg full court press run the entire game.....either by Jarrett Howell or Rodrick Epps

the offense in the second half was basically a fast break offense....I just dont know if we will be anywhere near as succesful against any of the teams we will play this year......the 1/2 court offense was stagnant at times

the mexican team was VERY quick in the first half and were excellent at ball movement, the second half we just wore them out...the played zone D pretty effectively against our inside players

Steven Thomas - I was hoping to see him get the ball more in the perimiter...but he was VERY active on the boards....

Jay Neukomm - I would still keep him as the starter because he played better defense then Griffin, but at times looked confused when he got the ball in the post

Larry Posey - I really liked this kids game....really active, vocal, was very effective when given the ball in the key...showed nice touch on his 10-15 foot shots.....but he was suprisingly quick and built like a tank....at 6'5 250lbs he did not look fat, just BIG.....seemed like a smart player

Jarrett Howell - Defintetely was trying to do too much on offense, but made a few nice plays on the break.....but there was one 4-1 break we had with Brady on his left and two others on his right and he gave the ball to Brady, who we all know is not taking it strong to the hole....I think it was a poor decision on Jarrett's part but the next few breaks we had he got the ball to who needed it...

Steven Floyd - I think he can do SOOO much more than what he did...at times his offensive game was lazy....he would get good penetration and then pass it off instead of just popping up the shot. But man did he play some good defense

Myles Guidry - I think he played well enough to be the starting SF....he did remind me of DO's offensive game in regards to his ability to penetrate to about 10-15 ft and then pop up the jumper....he also had some VERY nice baseline moves against some bigger players......he was by far the most effective 1/2 court player on the offensive side

Kenneth Henderson - really did not do much, he made one nice shot....but that was about it

Brady Dawkins - knee looks good, he was running and cutting real well.....he was hesititant to take those BOMBS he would take last year, and in many ways that is a good thing.....but he still has a nice 3pt shot and should be a BIG help this year....also made a few NICE passes

Jermiane Griffin - at times was very effective and others a little lost.......our best 5 option in regards to offense, and I think by the end of the year he could be starting.....made a few plays from the paint on offense

Rodrick Epps - good game....not great, just good....that kid can run ALL DAY....he was chasing around the Pueblo guards for what seemed like hours.....appeared to be a capable point and will add some good depth to the guards

Baron Sauls - I was impressed, he can really elevate in traffic to get a good look at the basket....made 2-3 plays where he got the ball at the top of the arc and would make a quick move to get to about the FT line and just pop up for the shot.....BUT that was against MUCH shorter guards, and I still think it will be effective against real competition

Demarques James - did not play

Chris Hairfield - if I could get that game from him every night I would be happy. Hit his open shots made a few hustle plays.

This team is VERY athletic and a bit small off the bench.....but they played well in the second half, and the man-man defense was very good in my opinion, but the help D was slow at times........if this team can force TO's on D and limit offensive rebounds then that would enable us to get the ball down the court VERY quickly.....I think coach is going to have us LIVE off of fast break points and 3's.......but we still have some good post players in my opinion so a slower option is definetely available....

outlook so far from magic 8 ball---I will give a little better than Bobbya - outlook is OK

I need to see some shots fall and better blocking out for rebounds....

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.