VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time ]
Subject: a note about an old friend

Author:
George Nelson
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:39:53 03/05/02 Tue

Thanks to Neil Rossi, one of the keepers of the old-time flame, for telling me about this message board and the chance to write a few words about my old friend and band-mate.
When Sandy Sheehan called to tell me about Dick's sudden,tragic passing I just hung up the phone,picked up my old guitar, went to a quiet corner of the house, spent some time picking out a few of the old tunes we used to play together and let a flood of great memories poor over me. Dick was a great friend during those years when everything was new, we were all immortal,all headed for certain fame and fortune,a weekend seemed like a lifetime and the thought of playing an electric guitar bordered on heresy...the years when we had only played 'June Apple','Billy in the Low Ground',and 'Blackberry Rag' for the first couple of hundred times...the years when we could drive all day and pick all night and sometimes the other way around.
Dick was a funny,quiet genius of all kinds of musical forms...his gentle nature hiding as intense a guy as you could imagine. I first knew him as a guitar picker, but almost over night he seemed to be a master of the mandolin,banjo and fiddle as well. It was mind-boggling as well as inspirational to see his instrumental prowess blossom. And unlike us 'wannabee' players his music came from within...he knew and could project those inner voicings and harmonies where music really lives. I used to visit him occasionally in California and was surprised to find out that he had acquired a keyboard and was doing some arranging. In retrospect, I wouldn't have been surprised to find out that he had a trumpet,valve trombone,piccolo and a set of Irish pipes stashed in his closet, all of which he could play equally as well.
What can you say about a guy David Bromberg used to introduce on stage as "my idol,Dick Fegy". We were great friends because we shared more than just the music. We used to have as much fun getting to and from the gigs as working them. I will always remember the long nights picking at "Old Joe's",the gigs with the Wonder Boys,Pat Sky at the Philly Folk Festival,the annual High Woods String Band Bash, the travelling and talking about vintage guitars and vintage cars.
Dick was the greatest. I'll miss him a lot.

George Nelson

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: a note about an old friend

Author:
D.Bear
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:42:46 10/27/03 Mon

Hello George. You do not know me but we both knew Dick Fegy.Dick and Igrew up together in Manchester, Ct, and along with his brother Marty and others had the great pleasure of playing music together.Of course this was back in the mid "60"s". He was a wonderful musician then, as a teen! Could play anything with strings! I had not seen Dick for years.I knew he had played with Bromberg and the last I knew he was livingin S.Cal. I was surfing the web to search old time string band music(which I play) and saw your sight with Dicks name on it. Then I read the note.We certainly did lose a good musician and friend.Yours Truely, D.Wrubel 10/27/03 Manchester , Ct

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.