VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Unplugging the Colorado River


Author:
Jon
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 14:43:29 05/22/16 Sun

"Unplugging the Colorado River" is an New York Times op-ed pice in today's 22 May 16, edition.

Al Buck had mentioned his dislike of the Glen Canyon Dam in the Dawnwalker series

"Unplugging the Colorado River
Could the end be near for one of the Westís biggest dams?

WEDGED between Arizona and Utah, less than 20 miles upriver from the Grand Canyon, a soaring concrete wall nearly the height of two football fields blocks the flow of the Colorado River. There, at Glen Canyon Dam, the river is turned back on itself, drowning more than 200 miles of plasma-red gorges and replacing the Coloradoís free-spirited rapids with an immense lake of flat, still water called Lake Powell, the nationís second-largest reserve."

read the entire piece at: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/opinion/unplugging-the-colorado-river.html?ribbon-ad-idx=6&src=trending&module=Ribbon&version=context®ion=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Trending&pgtype=article

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Unplugging the Colorado River


Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:43:43 05/23/16 Mon

>"Unplugging the Colorado River" is an New York Times
>op-ed pice in today's 22 May 16, edition.
>
>Al Buck had mentioned his dislike of the Glen Canyon
>Dam in the Dawnwalker series
>
>"Unplugging the Colorado River
>Could the end be near for one of the Westís biggest
>dams?
>
>WEDGED between Arizona and Utah, less than 20 miles
>upriver from the Grand Canyon, a soaring concrete wall
>nearly the height of two football fields blocks the
>flow of the Colorado River. There, at Glen Canyon Dam,
>the river is turned back on itself, drowning more than
>200 miles of plasma-red gorges and replacing the
>Coloradoís free-spirited rapids with an immense lake
>of flat, still water called Lake Powell, the nationís
>second-largest reserve."
>
>read the entire piece at: >target=_blank
>href="http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/opinion/unplugg
>ing-the-colorado-river.html?ribbon-ad-idx=6&src=trendin
>g&module=Ribbon&version=contextģion=Header&action=cl
>ick&contentCollection=Trending&pgtype=article">http://w
>ww.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/opinion/unplugging-the-colora
>do-river.html?ribbon-ad-idx=6&src=trending&module=Ribbo
>n&version=contextģion=Header&action=click&contentCol
>lection=Trending&pgtype=article




I wonder how opening up the Glen Canyon Dam will affect rafting on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. I've seen pictures of the high water in 1983 which made navigating the river very difficult. I wonder if this will be the case again. It seems that when men tinker with the natural order to solve problems that new problems are often created.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Unplugging the Colorado River


Author:
Jon
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:16:36 05/23/16 Mon

>I wonder how opening up the Glen Canyon Dam will
>affect rafting on the Colorado River through the Grand
>Canyon. I've seen pictures of the high water in 1983
>which made navigating the river very difficult. I
>wonder if this will be the case again. It seems that
>when men tinker with the natural order to solve
>problems that new problems are often created.

The change in the rafting below the Glen Canyon Dam will take place over a number of years as the collected silt works its' way downstream.

Wikipedia has a great explanation as to the cause and effects of the 1983 floods at: "Risks to the Glen Canyon Dam" or: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risks_to_the_Glen_Canyon_Dam#Colorado_River_Floods_of_1983

FWIW, I was near the Colorado River but further upstream during late April 1983, photographing and riding the last runs of the Rio Grande Zephyr passenger train immediately before the integration of the RGZ into Amtrak. Following the RGZ route along the upper Colorado River around Glenwood Springs did not seem to have much higher water levels. Further readings of the '83 floods show much of the high water came from tributarys near northeastern Utah.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Re: Unplugging the Colorado River


Author:
Ralph Reinhold
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:57:32 05/24/16 Tue

photographing and
>riding the last runs of the Rio Grande Zephyr
>passenger train immediately before the integration of
>the RGZ into Amtrak. Following the RGZ route along the
>upper Colorado River around Glenwood Springs

When I was small, my family took a trip to Newcastle to see my Uncle Ralph Elkington. He was managing an effort to harvest beetle killed trees and replant large areas around there.

We took the DRG&W Royale Gorge Route out to Glenwood Springs and the Moffat Tunnel Route back. My dad worked for the C&NW. I think we took that to Chicago and then to Omaha and then got on the CB&Q. We rode that to Denver and got on the DRG&W. That was 1948. There was still a lot of narrow gauge along the route then.

In 1952, we did a repeat performance only got on the CB&Q in Chicago.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]


VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

  E-mail address (required):

* Type your message here:


Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]


Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.