VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sun, Apr 14 2002, 21:07:09
Author: Shirl
Subject: Re: dyslexia and work
In reply to: Andy 's message, "Re: dyslexia and work" on Fri, Mar 15 2002, 21:39:30

Dear Sara.

How are things progressing? Sorry I haven't been back in touch sooner, but I have been in and out of hospital.
Don't get me wrong..I don't mean you to deny that you have dyslexia, when going to a job interview. Rather that you don't necessarily need to declare it,(same as someone with an ingrown toe-nail wouldn't mention that..even though it could be causing a limp), and then you get an even chance at getting the job - on your own merits. By all means, if you are asked if you have dyslexia, say - with pride, Yes. Then tell them why it WON'T affect your ability to do the job. Otherwise, once you have proved yourself, in a job, and the appropriate time arises, just mention that.."by the way do you know much about dyslexia?" see how the ground lies, and then surprise everyone by letting them know that you have dyslexia and are enjoying the job you are doing and coping well with the work. Did they realise that you have dyslexia? I mean how many people have heart problems...e.g. angina that never,declare it when going for a job?
I think, if you dig deep enough 98% of the community will have at least one medical problem of some sort or another, to varying degrees, and they don't declare that.
Wish you every success, in you road ahead, whichever way it takes you, and whether you declare dyslexia or not, at your initial interview is a personal choice. Anyway I have let you know what I think...and hope it doesn't cloud the issue.

Shirl

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.