VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Thu, Mar 14 2002, 14:16:38
Author: Andy
Subject: Re: dyslexia and work
In reply to: sara 's message, "dyslexia and work" on Tue, Mar 12 2002, 17:21:56

Hi Sara

This is certainly an interesting issue as discrimination legislation may not have all the answers! Perhaps an employer could suggest they couldn't employ you because you could be placing other people in danger. I.e. may be people with dyslexia working within the medical field could be putting patients at risk! I was recently asked for some advice from a student nurse who was told she couldn't continue with her course because her ADHD could put patients at risk. Luckily this decision was over turned so she is now continuing with her nursing career.

We have also just seen a man receive substantial damages through a court for discrimination he received from his employers that was a well known bank that use to be a building society. Though he did tell about his dyslexia difficulty when applying for his job.

Are you a member of the DYSLEXIA@JISCMAIL.AC.UK they are currently discussing a discrimination case around nursing.

I had a job with very well known electrical company and didn't tell them about my dyslexia. I was taken on as a top grade technician. One day received some complex and written instructions when explaining my dyslexia difficulty found myself doing floor sweeping tasks hence left company.

Hope something is of use here please keep in touch with us.

Andy

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.