VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sun, Mar 17 2002, 12:15:03
Author: Shirl
Subject: Re: dyslexia and work
In reply to: Andy 's message, "Re: dyslexia and work" on Fri, Mar 15 2002, 21:39:30

Dear Sara,

I hope you didn't get me wrong. I don't mean for you to hide the fact that you have dyslexia, when going for a job...due to the fact that there is such a lot of prejudice around - regarding "disabled" people.....Unless the information about your dyslexia is really needed, I wouldn't offer it, until you have been in the job for a while and the opportune moment may come up..... A lot of prospective employers are predjudiced about anyone with any disability, they like a lot of the general public, tend to look at what we can't do and focuss on that - rather than what we can do. Due to ignorance on their part, they assume that anyone who has any disability is a liability and also will require much more training, and, also require more time off work.....hence my suggestion that you do not mention it when going for a job, unless you are sure that the company does not hold any predjudice and that they are not employing you to "fill their quota" of disabled employees.... We know that we can function, in the workplace, just the same as anyone else, however I got one job that the boss kept telling me that I did a good job considering I was disabled.... I would prefer that he had stopped at the "doing a good job" my brain still works and I found myself often wondering whether I had got that particular job on my own merits or because I was "disabled".
The decision, fortunately or otherwise then has to be a personal one and how you feel to be employed as a "dyslexic" rather than another ordinary employee.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• Re: dyslexia and work -- Shirl, Sun, Apr 14 2002, 21:07:09
  • Re: dyslexia and work -- Sara, Thu, May 02 2002, 15:24:16

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.