VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat for Free
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

01/26/04 10:20amVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

Subject: Appointed Titles Galore

Author:
Pageant fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:26:56 01/19/15 Mon

Looks like Cara Grace is doing another year with Miss Dyersburg. Good for them. their other titleholders aren't going anywhere.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: A good read

Author:
Anti bullying
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:21:14 02/28/15 Sat

Although most pageant girls are extremely friendly and helpful, that’s not always the case. It’s also true that vendors, volunteers, judges, coaches, and even directors might be involved in pageant bullying.

Especially now that the Internet is easily at our fingertips all day long with smartphones, some people have found it easier than ever to bully. So here’s your guide to stay out of the drama and focus on yourself with tips from experts, pageant directors, and contestants themselves.

Where It Happens

According to sociologist and competitive event expert Hilary Levey Friedman, pageant bullies can be especially vindictive when the comments are taken online: “Message boards can be very vicious and often racist,” she says.

These anonymous forums, according to Friedman, started out as a way to help link pageant fans together. “The pageant world is often spread out, and also socially stigmatized in some parts of the country,” says Friedman. As a result, these online communities have stuck around longer than others.

It’s not just anonymous forums, either. Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites have been used in countless cases where hurtful and unnecessary comments abound. Cyberbullying is so real that many pageant contestants have it as a platform. Sometimes, these sites are even used to propel ugly rumors about contestants that aren’t even true.

How to Avoid It

To start off with, don’t ever try to access these sites on your own. It’s not going to do anything but drag your confidence down. Especially if you are in “pageant mode” already, it’s not going to help you. One state Miss America finalist says, “I don’t bring my computer to pageant week and I don’t allow myself to access any of those pageant sites while I’m competing. It might throw off my game.”

Another Miss USA contestant said “People are going to talk about you- you can’t control that. You can control your response, though.”

One Miss America state runner up says that some people, like pageant directors, get on these pageant boards with good intentions, but actually end up stirring the pot. She says, “The boards simply are and always will be breeding grounds for hate. Their posts are typically met with cynicism and could be considered fueling the fire.”

One team of directors for a local Miss America preliminary said they choose to show their support for girls online in a positive way, cheering them on at local pageants and wishing them good luck in social media forums. “Our girls feel supported, whether they win our pageant or not.” This team has chosen to fight negativity with positive affirmations and a belief in all contestants.

What To Do If You See It

If someone has made serious comments threatening you or your family members whether directly to you or to someone else, you may have grounds for harassment. Given that it’s difficult to prove these types of cases, you need to speak with a legal professional for more information.

That doesn’t mean you can’t go after someone because of comments made on message boards or social media. I spoke with two parties who had pursued legal action as a result of libel or slander claims against anonymous message boards and the individuals who posted on them.

“I’m not going to say it’s easy,” said one. “But when untrue comments are being spread about you online, you may need to use the law to protect yourself.”

You can avoid pageant bullying by simply ignoring what others say about you. My first interview coach ever told me “When people start talking about you, you know you’ve really arrived.” Let the comments roll off your back like water on a duck. You’ve got bigger things to focus on, right? Leave the haters in the blue-green glow of the computer screen and continue accomplishing your dreams.

Read more: http://thepageantplanet.com/avoid-pageant-bullying-online/#ixzz3T7GDztze
Follow us: @PageantPlanet on Twitter | ThePageantPlanet on Facebook

Subject: This is a good read

Author:
anti bully
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:14:34 02/28/15 Sat

Valerie Hayes,The Pageant Coach™," has created an initiative to amplify awareness about ongoing cyber-bullying in the beauty pageant world. As a leading consultant, coach, and expert in positive pageantry, Hayes feels compelled to expose the recent wave of aggressive cyber-bullying in traditional online forums to cease participant self-esteem degradation.
Thousands of beauty pageant participants and candidates are sharing information and posting opinions on social media and online forums referred to as "VoyBoards." The pageant specific VoyBoards include commentary of event participants with Miss USA, Miss America, Miss Universe, and the beauty pageant sponsored by Univision, Belleza Latina. Even though some of forums are actively moderated, cyber-bullying occurs frequently in the form of coercion and negative comments among contestants.
While the general public is aware of anti-bullying tactics and reprieves in schools, Hayes believes that there needs to be a movement to create awareness for a societal problem that could result in fatalities in extreme cases. Valerie Hayes elaborates, “The core issue here is that bullying is occurring because participants don’t even realize they are being bullied and often don’t know who the perpetrator is. My focus is on educating the leaders of the image industry and its participants on how to help victims: 1) spot the bully behavior pattern 2) block the bully’s access 3) unfriend the bully and their bunch 4) affirm her own self-esteem."
VANBROS and Associates, Inc., the producer of MISS USA® & MISS TEEN USA® state pageants in Arkansas, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Nebraska has joined Valerie Hayes to support her quest of creating awareness of her online initiative, http://www.pageantbully.com. A promotional 30-second commercial will broadcast live on Pageant Vision, http://www.pageantvision.com, during both the Preliminary and Final Competitions of all VANBROS state USA pageants with the debut on August 30th and 31st during a live webcast of Miss Illinois USA and Miss Teen Illinois USA respectively. The commercial will continue to air during five more state USA pageants throughout the end of the year to continue to teach the public on ways to recognize, stop, and report online bullying.
Hayes’ ultimate goal is to create a movement that transcends the pageant industry into mainstream media to create awareness about the signs of cyberbullying and help victims to cope with positive solutions. During October, which is National Anti-Bullying Awareness, month, Hayes will have an intense media focus on conveying her message, “Ugly is Never Beautiful,” via a media blitz and press campaign.
http://www.prweb.com/releases/uglyisneverbeautiful/valeriehayes/prweb12118373.htm

Subject: we can all stand to read this

Author:
Click in
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:09:01 02/28/15 Sat

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Subject: Here they are

Author:
Fabulous group
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:00:34 02/28/15 Sat

Date Posted: 06:30:25 11/09/14 Sun
http://wp.misstennessee.org/2013-contestants/

Miss Austin Peay State - Elizabeth Upshur (New)
Miss Banana Pudding Festival - Katherine Tubb (New)
Miss Capital City - Brady Boyd (2013)
Miss Chattanooga - Stephanie McKain (2014-Non-Finalist Interview Winner)
Miss Collierville - Miranda Dyer (New)
Miss Decatur County - Karlie Roser (2014)
Miss Dogwood Festival - Rachel Holder (New)
Miss Dyersburg - Meredith Maroney (New)
Miss East Tennessee - Lexi White (2014-3rd R/U)
Miss Fall Fest - Emilee Ketron (2014)(2013)(2012)
Miss Greene County - Hannah Hausman (2014)
Miss Henderson County - Jaclyn Torrento (2014-4th R/U, TN Sweetheart 2014, National Sweetheart-Top 16)(2013-Top 10)(2011)(2010-Top 10)
Miss Historic Jonesborough - Hannah Everhart (New)
Miss Jackson - Madison Hurst (New)
Miss Johnson City - Kayla Neikirk (2011)
Miss Kingsport - Jacquelyn Crawford (New)
Miss Knoxville - Caty Davis (2013)
Miss Lexington - Cassidy Sheppard (2014-Top 10)
Miss McMinnville - Kristen Gallant (New)
Miss Memphis - Madison Snipes (TNOT - 2011)
Miss Middle Tennessee State University - Katie McGrath (New)
Miss Mid-South Heritage - Courtney Caton (New)
Miss Murfreesboro - Alex Wallace (New)
Miss Music City - Aria Stiles (Miss TN 2014 - Top 12; Preliminary Talent)
Miss Nashville - Hannah Bobinger (2014)
Miss Parsons - Courtney Walker (2014-Top 10)
Miss Queen City - Mary Beth Arnett (New)
Miss Rocky Top - MerylAnne Dexter (2014)
Miss Scenic City - Hannah Robison (2013-2nd R/U)
Miss Shelby County - Jessica McCullough (PA-2014)(TN-2012)
Miss Smokey Mountain - Christine Williamson (2014)
Miss Tennessee Soybean Festival - Carsen Rooney (New)
Miss Tennessee Valley - Sydney Shadrix (2014-NFT-GA)
Miss Tipton County - Grace Burgess (2014)
Miss UT Martin - Shelby Dotson (New)
Miss Watauga Valley - Elizabeth Painter (New)

Replies:
Subject: MAOT prediction?

Author:
Glitz mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:49:53 01/31/15 Sat

who do we think are the front runners for miss tennessee outstanding teen? It's getting close to the competition

Replies:
Subject: Coaches

Author:
Cost and distance
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:01:30 02/10/15 Tue

Any coaches in Halls or Ripley area? Wanting to avoid Nashville as its to far, granddaughter started this year, no coach and didn't place/ Curious as to the top 10 (last years Teens the ones who do the talent portion) were they all coached? And who coached them? Do the coaches also coach talent or is it just interview? What is a typical cost is it hourly or monthly fee?

Replies:
Subject: Top 5?? Early projections?

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:48:16 02/19/15 Thu

Replies:
Subject: As we come to the last few prelims

Author:
Coaching beware
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:06:33 01/06/15 Tue

Ladies, please beware of people calling themselves coaches in the areas of walking and interview, even vocal. just because someone held a title locally, state or otherwise 20 years ago or 1 year ago does not qualify them to coach you. Many offer free sessions to winners, they visit once or even twice then the individual post all over the place that they coached this lady to a win when that is simply not the case. Do not be scared to ask, how long have you coached Jane? Do you coach Jane in all areas of pageantry or just one? Ask and ask again, and think about this, Memphis did have big numbers and had 4 or 5 of those lovely ladies done other pageants they would be headed to Jackson this summer instead they did only one and now are left with scrambling for the last three possibly just two. You don't have to stay in the Memphis area you are welcome all over.

Replies:
Subject: Lexi White no way no how

Author:
Tn10
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:37:33 02/27/15 Fri

Lexi is one of the rudest young women I have ever met. When she is with other title holders she interrupts and talks over the other girls She is extremely self promoting!

Replies:
Subject: Yes Yes

Author:
the pictures are up
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:03:22 02/21/15 Sat

And, Hope Parker is in it!!!!! Excited. A great group! Can't wait to see their talents!

Subject: Miss Tennessee job description

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:34:14 02/18/15 Wed

Why is it that no one has ever seen a job description for Miss Tennessee.
Ok so she is the Govenors spokesperson for character education, but what exactly does this mean? Why has a job description of what she does never been provided? You would think this would help a contestant prepare. So many unwritten rules, whispered expectations, should this info not be handed out in written form at the workshop each year? Come in directors speak up and help your contestants prepare! Miss America provides one, why can't Tennessee?

Replies:
Subject: As workshop approaches

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:07:21 02/18/15 Wed

Can someone explain how each contestant selects their spot in the lineup? Is it strictly random lottery or do some girls/locals get first pick? Does this part of workshop take a long time or does it happen really quick?

Replies:
Subject: Outstanding Teen

Author:
mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:24:20 02/16/15 Mon

If you win the Teen pageant are you allowed to compete during your year?

Replies:
Subject: Are there any miss contestants not getting their gown at Joanns

Author:
My director is basically saying I must
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:30:54 02/17/15 Tue

Is this really a requirement? I'm not saying that I've been told that I absolutely have to but it's pushed on all of us. I was planning on using a gown from a previous miss contestant in TN USA who had so graciously agreed to loan it to me and it is not from Joanns it's been implied that you must get your dress from her? I'm on a tight budget as in no money for a dress and am using the talent gown I've had for years. It's also very far and there's a ton of other dress stores around me that I've bought locally. My family and I are both put off and concerned by this. Looking to here from other girls who choose a different route

Replies:
Subject: Curious

Author:
Hope Parker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:28:06 02/09/15 Mon

I've heard through the grape vine that Hope Parker is coming back? Is this true?

Replies:
  • Re: Curious -- Yep that's the rumor..., 15:17:40 02/09/15 Mon
  • Re: Curious -- I "Hope" so!, 15:56:36 02/09/15 Mon
Subject: Weak Teens?

Author:
just wondering
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:08:09 02/08/15 Sun

So I'm thinking the teens are weak this year. i dont know but there doesn't really seem to be someone who looks like a winner.

Replies:
Subject: Hannah Robison for Miss TN

Author:
obvious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:12:01 01/26/15 Mon

She's clearly the front runner. I think the other girls should just stop spending tons of money to try to win the crown. She's got it all, and she will be crowned in June.

Replies:
Subject: Miss Dyersburg

Author:
Pageant Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:29:21 01/12/15 Mon

So who all will be competing in the Miss Dyersburg this weekend?

Replies:
Subject: Favorites for Miss Memphis and Miss Shelby County

Author:
Great Lineup
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:28:10 12/31/14 Wed

Lots of interesting newbies! I like Madison Snipes for Miss Memphis, but I think the other title is up for grabs. I can't wait to watch! I also love the diversity. Very promising for the future.

Replies:
Subject: Miss Collierville

Author:
curious (curious)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:50:23 01/04/15 Sun

Who do you think will win miss Collierville/teen? I vote 1)Cadana or 2)Mary-Beth and 1)Donaldson 2)crystal

Replies:
Subject: Worst seating Mess at Memphis

Author:
Ticked
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:26:39 01/04/15 Sun

Why the assigned seats?? I was told they posted on FB but not everyone follows them on FB! Came to the teen pageant with 4 people and told the girl 3 more would join us for the Miss, she said comeback after teen and she would change the seats, After teen there were only scattered seats PLUS the girl was totally rude! We sat all over the place. AS for the results, the teen was almost comical and Williamson face said it all that was true shock and good for her the audience shared your shock and dismay, I hope she keeps going she should have won and the girl in that fantastic red dress should have been her alternate, that was a mess. Miss was spot on. Love Calle but she needs some polishing to hit Jackson.

Replies:
Subject: Miss Tennessee US International

Author:
Director
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:16:32 01/09/15 Fri

If you are between the ages of 17- 26 we are looking for you !come and be apart of a great pageant system you will be glad you did for more information please email @ misstennesseeusinternational@aol.com

Subject: Not much diversity in Miss Tennessee & known to be the most political. Why do y'all think this is?

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:19:23 12/23/14 Tue

Replies:
Archives: 1234 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.