VoyForums

Natural Pain Relief

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time ]
Subject: old Texas Stuff

Author:
Gary
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:28:%####/06/02 Mon

I found your site via from Header Flames. I am doing a site similar to yours and "wediditforlove" except mine is based only on Texas (Division 4) racers. Plus it is only of blown or injected nitro and alky of some past Texas Drag Racers. I am down here in Houston and have a lot of pics of the original Houston Drag Strip and a little bit of the Austin track. My dad has a few 8mm movies of the Austin track also.

The 1st 2 links on my site are of our cars and hope to be getting more pics of Texas racers added as they come in. Anyway, it is a very young site and hopefully it will get much larger. http://www.osborn-ind.com/gary/racingdays.htm

BTW, Butch Lake is still alive and well in Austin from what I hear.

keep up the good work, Gary

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Austin Raceway Park

Author:
Hobie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:18:%####/06/02 Mon

Thanks for posting, i went to your site, that pix of the tower at ARP is great i raced at ARP in the late '60s i had a street '55 chevy, my dad had a pickup truck and we would hook up a tow bar and pull it flat to ARP. I really liked the pix of George Cox, i was with Cox and Rousey when they teamed up, with the '69 AMX pro stocker, and helped on their pit crew very little when they had the top fuel car. i have some pix of ARP from'68 with pix of Butch Lake and a '41` willys gasser. thanks Hobie

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Austin Raceway Park

Author:
Dana Cox
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:12:%####/26/02 Fri

I just found this forum it's great to see the intrest in old drag racing. I saw a couple of post about Butch Lake and I had to call him and tell him to about the site. My Father was George Cox and I love reading about old racing stuff. So anybody out there that has any stories they would like to share about my Father I'd love to hear them.
Thank,
Dana Cox

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Austin Raceway Park

Author:
Nicole Scheulen
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:49:%####/29/02 Sun

Hi, I was wondering if you guys can help me.
I am looking for the top ten transmission builders in
in austin to see if my dad is still number one.
You probaly Know him. His name is Rick.
he has the fastest street rod in austin.Please can you help me find the top 10 transmission builders in austin.
if you can please e mail me. at
halfabrat@aol.com

Author:
John Mason
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:08:%####/11/06 Sat

I knew your father well along with many of his "running buddies". He,along with August Hartkopf,Fred Rowsey,Linford McLemore,Joe Angel & others.
I'm 64 yrs. old & with the knowledge & spirit left by the likes of your Dad, I'm building what is probably my last racecar (sort of a "social security special").
I've been in touch with one of your Dad's good friends (Kenneth Wilson) who lives in Dale Tx. just outside Austin. He's in the phonebook. Perhaps you would give him a ring someday...it could be a hoot.
I've lived in the New Braunfels area for about 18 yrs.,& survived a liver transplant,grown "older"& am just happy to "be here".
Rest assured when I fire up & start to race my lil' pro street hot rod next spring, I'll be thinking of "the good ol' days" & your Pop.
Keep the Faith;
John Mason
jmason17@satx.rr.com

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Austin Raceway Park

Author:
MistyMcLemore
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:19:%####/10/07 Sat

Hi John,
I was curious to see if there was any info. on the net about my dad, Linford McLemore.I saw your post that you knew him.He died in October 1973 when I was 5 months old. I have no memories of him, only pictures.It makes me happy that there are others that still remember him after all these years.Thank-you.I'm glad that you are doing well and wish you the best.If you or anyone else out there that knew him and maybe would tell me some stories, I would love it.E-mail at the above address-Misty McLemore

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Austin Raceway Park

Author:
Misty McLemore
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:32:%####/11/07 Sun

My e-mail didn't show on the post, so here it is....mclemoregoffyahoo.com

Author:
Wayne Clawson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:04:%####/15/07 Mon

Misty, I knew Linford very well. Began racing with Linford in the late 50's when he raced the yellow 37 or 38 Chevy, went to Green Valley to the AHRA Nationals (1960 or 61). Six of us stayed in a old travel trailer. I slep out side on a cot and some of the guys got up early and moved my cot, with me still in it, to the starting line. Was I surprised when I woke. Linford then moved to B/Roaster and held the AHRA ET record for two years (10:71). Then moved to A/Gas Dragster.
Blown Olds. I believe it was 1965 or 66 AHRA Nationals at Green Valley when he blew the engine and had a hole in the side of the block about 6 inches round. I lost touch with Linford about then, moved out of Austin and he and I also had a disagreement about an engine I purchased from him. We traveled many many miles togrether racing all over Texas, Arziona, LA. and N. Mex. from the late 50's to the mid 60's. Had a lot of good times.

Author:
Tammy McLemore (Linford McLemore's daughter)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:46:%####/09/09 Fri

Hi,,,,I am Tammy McLemore. I am Linford Earl McLemores daughter.

Author:
Herdez
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:36:%####/20/07 Sun

We are a new site in Austin Texas our gatherring is in oakhill at the "y" some of the members on our site go way back to the early 60's we currently have 80's early 90's photos but were lookin to have new members join and share some ole Austin Texas drag racing memories.To name a few tracks -San Antonio dragway, Little river, Green valley and other tracks in the Central area. Weve also come come across names like

Buck & bohls Olds powered roaster,

August "Hands" hartkopf & Butch lake 55 Panel

Emmit Glass 57 "The Blue Goose and other photos to come.

Author:
John Mason (EA Glass, Don Govro,Butch, August,etal.)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:34:%####/29/07 Sun

I was at Oakhill Raceway MANY times & knew & remember everyone in your post.
I believe that in your post, you mentioned you have a site (web site?). If so please send it to me via my email address.
I've got some early photos that could probably give ya' a chuckle.
Thanks & see ya' ;
John Mason

Author:
Herdez
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:00:%####/07/07 Fri

I guess it would help if I added the website address.

Sorry Guys!

www.texasironwerksshowdown.com

http://www.texasironwerksshowdown.com/

Author:
William Glass (Update info about Emmett Glass)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:27:%####/30/11 Sun

I noticed info about Emmett Glass listed with other friends of ours and I wanted to point out an oversight online. The older brother of Emmett is Hugh Glass, my father. Hugh Glass owned and was the driver of the 55 Chev injected wheelstanding gasser. There are photo's of this online that were taken at Little River by myself, that list Emmett as owner/driver and this is incorrect. Both of these cars were multiple winners. You stated that you have photo's from this period and if you have any of these, I would appreciate seeing them. One tidbit of info for you, August Hartkoph worked with my father on a shallow off shore drilling rig for the state in the 50's. If you have any questions, let me know. Regards, William Glass

Author:
Rodney Templeton
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:34:%####/29/11 Mon

What site would I go to find old pics of Emmett Glass? Noticed he was listed on your post.
Thanks

Author:
Terry Miesse
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:37:%####/14/07 Sun

........ I didn't get to Austin until the early 70s. My first pass down Austin Race Way was in my 64 Cuda - -out ran C R Damsby that evening - - course at that time the track had closed down and the street racers would run up there on Saturday night ....
I found this sight by accident the other day and the memories have been flowing sence then ... Names like Lenford and Larry - G. Cox ..Guy Morngan ..Bruce Hobbs .. Jake Campbell ..and Sandy Land !
I started running with Butch Lake when he and Sandy Land were building the Mustang Pro Stocker,they worked out of and old shed in south Austin .. I was a member of Butch's team through the Anglea C gasser that ruled Little River and was in Hot Rod magizine (artcile of race at Dallas) I was there through the campaine of the 69 AMX G modified car .. loved that car !! I remember things like when Joe White put a small block into the Mustang and called it a Horse with No Name ... I remember the night Butch and I went to Lenford's Shop to see their (first) just completed Funny car chassis - - Lenford's shop was just across Lamar form Butch's - -we would lock up the doors and run across the street every time we heard the Banchee wail ;-) I could go on for hours, with names like Greg Small and the first 70 1/2 Z-28 ... street races either with Butch's Camero or my Cuda ... and wonderful weekends racing across Texas ..all great memories .... can anyone here give me an address or phone number to contact Butch ??

Author:
Wayne Clawson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:27:%####/15/07 Mon

Dana, I knew George well. He sold me 3 X 2 carbs for my 348 Chevy back in 1961. At that time the racing team was Haydon and Cox. They held the AHRA speed record for C/Gas Dragster(130.43) and ET record (10:18)set at Corpus Christi Dragway on 8-26-62. I was there. Haydon worked for So.West Bell Telephone and moved to Arzonia in the mid 60's. I moved from Austin about then also. The last time I talked with George was about the mid 70's when he worked on my wife's van at the old shop down on 1'st street. ( I think it was on 1'st) Lots of fun at thoes old drag strips!!

Author:
yes,my name really is.........Butch Lake (cant make me sad)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:26:%####/23/08 Fri

Im just brain dead, not body dead! That should explain new ProMod sittin in shop, plus, don't owe nooobooodddy. Patience,Patience.Cant put into words the years of memories August and I shared,...PRICELESS. Misty McLemore, your dad was a cool prankster. Miesse, you mongrel, where you been? 4&5spds. are trans. Now your huntin for 9. Hello John Mason, be cool!! Gottago,.......where?!.

Author:
KENNY GOODWIN (LAKER,WHERE YOU AT?)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:23:%####/06/12 Tue

BUTCH,
WHERE IN THE WORLD HAVE YOU BEEN? I WAS TALKING TO ROOTER THE OTHER DAY, ASKING IF HE HEARS ANYTHING FROM YOU.E-MAIL ME AT kennygoodwin54@yahoo.com!!

Author:
Jimmy Hicks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:01:%####/22/13 Sun

Would like to hear from all you guys that remember me ! good see mason and butch on here linford and mickey Tadlock . Also my circletrack friends.

Author:
Marilyn (Roe) Clanton
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:58:%####/24/10 Wed

My cousin was Linford McLemore. His mother was my dad's sister. I used to go to Houston International Speedway back in the 70's to see him race the Banshee Beracuda. They would park it on the side street next to my parents house after a race, and all our neighbors had to come out to see it.

I remember one time at the race he did his burnout, and he backed up, and as soon as the green light came on, he took off. But the Banshee caught on fire, and he crawled out the window and pulled the pins that held down the body, crawled back in and held up the body so it would not burn. It scared us to death.

After he sold the Banshee, he ended up getting killed on a motorcycle. He was a great guy!

Author:
Tommy Winkler (Very Happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:25:%####/12/11 Thu

Dana your Daddy was the best man I ever worked for. And please don't get me confused with my older half brother Jimmy that worked in parts with Monty at the north shop. I was the one that George would only let me work on your cars. Anyway George was a very fine man. I have so many fond memories and stories about George. I saw David at the east shop about a year ago, he looked real good.
I really had the HOT's for you back then.
Tommy:

Author:
JJ
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:46:%####/30/11 Fri

For those of you that still read this board, we have a group on Facebook called "Drag Racing Texas Style". Many names you all might know are a part of the group and we all swap stories, help identify photos, and keep in touch. I'm just a young guy, but very much love the history of drag racing here in Texas. I've met so many of the legends of Texas Drag Racing through the Facebook page.

Author:
George Rodriguez (Rodriguez Brothers San Antonio)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:29:%####/10/12 Fri

Dana Coxs my name is George Rodriguez I drove a AA/FD the rodriguez brothers and new your dad very well. I raced from 1964 to 1970 with him and we traveled with our trailers to a lot of dragstrips. I am 67 years old now and I THINK OF HIM A LOT hE HAD A DRY SENSE OF HUMOR ESPEACIALLY WHEN HE WAS SMOKING HIS CIGAR.We also had very fast towing trucks and once after racing in Okahoma City one night we got on the turnpike to Tulsa raceway to race the next day. We left OK city at one am and was in Tulsa at two am we travel 100 miles in one hour.We were crazy

Author:
Bob Bryson (Question)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:34:%####/30/12 Sun

Your Dad drove Kenny Bernstein Engine Masters Cougar. Any pictures of that car? Why did he take drive for Kenny? Any info on this car?

[> [> Subject: Re: Austin Raceway Park

Author:
carlos martinez (confused)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:39:%####/02/12 Thu

what your last name hobie

[> Subject: Re: old Texas Stuff

Author:
Dana Cox
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:17:%####/28/02 Sun

Where are you Gary? I can't get a hold of you I've emailed you a couple of times no reply.... I need to get my photo album back PLEASE>>> I'm just posting this in hopes that you may be surffing one night and come back to this site.
Thanks,
Dana

[> [> Subject: Re: old Texas Stuff

Author:
Hobie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:07:%####/25/02 Sun

cant get Gary's site to come up anymore

Author:
Rich Welch
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:16:%####/18/03 Thu

Looking for any info on an old Ford B/G car that ran under the name "Watson & Young." A friend of mine here in CA has found the car and put it on the street, but without fenders. Besides the lettering on the doors "Watson & Young," it says "Paint by Herman," "Bluegrass Express," and "Graham Texas." Does this ring a bell with anyone??? He would LOVE to find old photos of the car, but really wants to know the history. Thanks and God Bless!
Rich

Author:
Buddy Black
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:02:%####/01/09 Sun

A friend of mine is an old hot rodder from Graham , Tx
He may be able to help you learn about the car...worth
a try ! His name is Herman McGehee...he might be the one
mentioned who knows . He is in the phone book @ area code
940 in graham TX

Author:
CAPTEDDIE-ED DEAR
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:28:%####/04/06 Sun

Gary,I stayed up till 3 in morn. sending pictures/stories. Lets get with it boy!ILL keep sending as soon as I see the ones Ive already sent. HUBA,HUBA,HUBA. From the Captain deareddear@aol.com

Author:
StrokerDave Van Deventer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:25:%####/15/08 Fri

I'm looking for programs from Amarillo Dragway,particually the Texas vs California shows

Author:
Dave Sapko
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:19:%####/15/09 Sun

Wow! The memories evoked when I found this site! I began racing at Oak Hill in the early 60s. I was a stock-car guy. Ran a Coppertone '63 Fury. My best friend was Wily 'Luke' Lucas who, along with his wife Ileane, ran a white '62 426 Dodge. They and I were stationed at Bergstrom. We helped with a petition to start ARP. Joe Colley was my 'inspiration' getting into drag racing. Joe had a factory White Dodge 426. Marvin Jensen helped me a lot with my first Plymouth. Marvin used to run a very quick Gas Coupe and then he got into Funny Cars. Had a shop on E 1st Street and later moved to Calif. Another guy I knew well was Lonnie Markrum. Lonnie ran a 4-dr 'stock' Aqua/Blue Chevy BelAire. Hardly ever lost his class, sometimes won Top Eliminator too. Never lost a tear-down challange that I recall. His 'stock' 283 was 'stroked' a tad to 306 +/-.
In '65 I bought the first 426 Plymouth Stree Hemi that was delivered into the State. Bought it from OR Mitchell in SA....STILL have the cancelled checks($3600). A regular race I had at Oak Hill was a '61-'62 Red Chevy 409. Sometimes he beat me, but seldom. Had a regular match-race with a Black Dodge SH 426 at Little River. He was fast, almost as fast as my car. I believe I did lose once to him, but I recall it was me, not my car. Also raced at SA Raceway Park quite often. Both A-stock class and Gas class with that '65. Took off the front bumper...viola...a Gasser! lol My car set the record in the stock class, 12.76/127mph. Don't recall how long that lasted though. I occasionally dropped by to see/visit with August at his house on E 11th. I wasn't a GM guy, but he still taught me a hellofalot. It was a privilege to have know him. I can still see his little White Chevy burnin' out at Oak Hill! I can also still see those two Oak trees coming at me at the end of the Oak Hill strip....whew! I knew Linford too. Those were good days/times and I miss them along with the folks I knew.

Author:
KENNY GOODWIN (THE REAL OLD DAYS!!!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:13:%####/06/12 Tue

DAVE,
MY NAME IS KENNY GOODWIN, AND I WAS RAISED IN EAST AUSTIN IN THE FIFTYS & SIXTIES.I REMEMBER A GUY WHO HAD A 66 PLYMOUTH SATELITE WITH A 426 HEMI IN IT THAT WAS STATIONED AT BERGSTROM IN THE MID 60'S. HE USED TO BRING THE SATELITE TO MY DAD'S TEXACO STATION AND GARAGE ON AIRPORT BLVD TO WORK ON IT AT NIGHT. IF THIS WAS YOU, E-MAIL ME AND I WILL TELL YOU MORE

Author:
harold lewelling
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:44:%####/11/11 Mon

run funny cars 1970 to 1988 can you tell me where to find the all american alcohol funny car circuit i have lost it somewhere thanks for the help.

Author:
Jose Evans (evans)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:01:%####/20/12 Fri

EASTEX DRAGWAY: I was both a Drag Racer and big fan at Eastex Dragway from 68-77 in Porter Tx.I loved it so much that I posted a Facebook on Eastex Dragway and had great response! If you or anyone who may have pic of your car,Please forward them to my e-mail and or Facebook with a brief story,Wed love to here from ya! evansdal1@aol.com or Facebook: Eastex Dragway

Author:
GEORGE RODRIGUEZ (RODRIGUEZ BROTHERS SAN ANTNIO)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:03:%####/10/12 Fri

Gary think of your dad all the time My brother and I had a AA/FD and we would team up together and travel to dragstrips. Had a couple of match races with him I raced from 1964 to 1970 and have a lot of good memories of your dad miss his smile ,laugh and his cigar.

Author:
Darrell Cook (Searching)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:08:%####/18/13 Fri

Hello I just ran across this site and I am hoping and searching for anyone that may know or have seen or has pictures of my current project car. 1968 z28 Camaro. It was Matador Red with white stripes, black deluxe interior with no console and of course manual trans. It was an early build car and had the "302" emblems instead of "Z/28" on the front fenders. I guessing it was a race car due to the fact it has had a tow bar welded to the front frame horns and traction bar plates welded to the frame in the rear. Farthest I can trace the vehicle history back to is 1972 in Texas. The gentlemen that purchased it was in the Air Force and the car still has a Armstrong-Johnson from Austin dealer plate on the rear tailpan. If anyone remembers or has any info on this car please email me at cook_dw@hotmail.com
Photos of the car currently are below.

Thank you!! Darrell

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/superslow/1968%20302%20Camaro/DSC01312.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/superslow/1968%20302%20Camaro/DSC01312-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/superslow/1968%20302%20Camaro/DSC01314.jpg

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.