VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]23 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:10:45 03/27/09 Fri
Author: JB
Author Host/IP: NoHost / 72.236.192.234
Subject: Re: My two cents
In reply to: Site Administrator 's message, "My two cents" on 17:25:40 07/30/07 Mon

I agree that it is a shame that Joanna wasn't able to participate, but also recognize that it all comes down to economics.

Studios/rights holders/production companies do not throw a lot of money at DVD releases unless it is some <b>major</b> title.

I worked on the MGM James Bond dvds and the budgets aren't big even on those - so I can't imagine how small BCI's were.

You have to take off your fan hat and look at it from the bean counter perspective.

How many units will this DVD sell?

How much (if at all) will supplementary material/commentary affect a purchase decision?

The answer on the later is sadly very little, from what I've heard and have witnessed personally.

Had Isis been available on VHS/laserdisc whatever - they would have had to make more of an effort to get people to rebuy content they already owned on another format.

I think it is crazy that a writer and even someone who composed a song that gets played in the background of a show will get compensated while the main actors won't.

But I also know that it is a mistake to associate people who produce DVD supplementary material as the same people who make a boatload of cash off rights/merchandising/etc.

The people who produce the material are given a limited amount of money and they are subcontracted from the rights holders - so while Andy would have loved to have gotten Joanna's commentary, he didn't have the budget to just fly off to Hawaii and subcontract a filming crew there.

I remember when my collection was being filmed for the Bond DVDs, some friends were asking what sort of money I was getting. I was paid for my flight out to Hollywood and that was it - everything else - the 14 hours of collectibles footage, rare behind the scenes 16mm footage, help on audio commentary - I didn't get paid for.

I think it is a shame when actors see DVDs as just another way the studios are screwing over the working actor. But holding to their principals also means their story doesn't get told. As others have pointed out - once that ship has sailed, it has sailed.

Anyway, enough rambling. I would ask that people look at from the DVD producer's side. He was given a limited budget and a very short production schedule.

I'm pleased with the results.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-4
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.