VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 03:32:58 02/17/10 Wed
Author: North of the Border
Author Host/IP: NoHost / 206.48.21.114
Subject: JoAnna a victim of Hollywood abuse?

I happended across JoAnna's internet entries while I was looking for someone else, but I was instantly impressed with her all-American girl-next-door beauty - the type that no longer exists with today's plastic celebrities.

After reading much of the material available on the intenet regarding JoAnna, I was left wondering if she was a victim of Hollywood abuse. There is a Youtube exerpt of her 1978 appearance on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson - I thought Carson, McMahon, and especially guest Bert Convy treated her rather badly as they dangled a job offer at her, all the while alluding to wanting side benfits, parlance for the infamous casting couch treatment.

see: www.youtube.com/watch?v=auQ4VdYAQNA

Furthermore, there are nude photos on the internet of JoAnna taken from her early movies. Maybe I am totally wrong about what I am about to say, but looking in her eyes of those photos, I see a frightened, mortified girl - I say girl because she was only 19 or 20 when these were taken. I realize JoAnna stated in her interview that she had no issue with the nudity, and indeed compared to today they were very tame. Perhaps JoAnna is just to polite to state otherwise as she still retains Hollywood connections. Nevertheless, this is just another example of Hollywood exploitation of young women as it seems one can only achieve success by taking off their clothes! I can surmise that subsequent to those movies, JoAnna no longer wished to appear nude, and her career suffered as a result.

I realize that nudity can be portrayed in a tasteful and artistic fashion; however what is produced in cinema for the most part is gratutious. Don't believe me? Read an interview of the late Natasha Richardson, and her 2005 film Asylum.

<a rel=nofollow target=_blank href="http://www.thecinemasource.com/blog/3285/interviews/natasha-richardson-interview-for-asylum/?id=183&wordcount=0">http://www.thecinemasource.com/blog/3285/interviews/natasha-richardson-interview-for-asylum/?id=183&wordcount=0</a>

Once you read past all the platitudes describing the character, she refers to her scenes as "defiling." It was quite telling to read that Richardson, the daughter of Hollywood royalty, married to a cinema superstar, established in her own right, and producer of the film - not to mention an adult and mother of two - suddenly realized she had gone too far. What chance did an unknown, teenaged JoAnna have, especially in the climate of the early 1970's?

Better yet, read about June Fairchild - Joanna's co-star from Pretty Maids All in a Row. After her career fizzled, Fairchild suffered from homelessnes as well she served a jail sentence.

I hope what I have written does not open up Pandora's Box but I believe it requires mention. If I am incorrect or if what I have stated is inappropriate, hopefully someone close to JoAnna will please let me know and I will cease further comment. I personally do not know JoAnna, and I made my statement only from analysis of what is publicly available. From everything I have gathered she is a wonderful person who did not deserve to be treated in such a shabby fashion by Hollywood. JoAnna's career after leaving entertainment is a testament to her true character as she contiunes to inspire her many fans.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-4
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.