VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]3 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:52:45 09/14/07 Fri
Author: Alex
Author Host/IP: S01060017f2c29c22.cg.shawcable.net / 68.146.41.232
Subject: Very entertaining show

As someone who never saw the original series (I'm in Canada and we didn't start getting cable TV feeds from the US until the year after Isis ended) I was interested in checking this show out on DVD. I have to admit that Joanna Cameron was the main reason for wanting to check it out - so sue me! ;-)

On the whole, I've quite enjoyed the show. I generally take an "it is what it is" attitude when it comes to vintage productions. After all, Doctor Who is one of my favorite shows, so who am I to be picky if the SFX are a bit low-tech at times? There were a few moments that made me roll my eyes, like the hiliariously bad bear costume in one episode, and a few lines of dialogue that take on whole new meanings (usually of a salacious nature) when viewed through 2007 eyes.

But I found Isis on the whole to be very enjoyable, and surprisingly mature at times, too (for a "kid's show"), whether in its treatment of the obvious relationship between Rick and Andrea, which is depicted without the usual neon sign pointing down, flashing "THEY'RE A COUPLE", or in the plot lines, some of which were surprisingly deep, such as the Hitchhiking episode or "Lucky". That made up for production values that - no offense intended - resembled that of a low-grade B movie at times.

Joanna Cameron does a marvellous job in the dual role. My only complaint was Isis' change to late 70s-style "big hair" in the final 7 episodes, which made her look about 10 years older. (Which for Joanna Cameron is still great, but it just seemed a bit too obvious that they were trying to make her look more like Lynda Carter.) And while Renalda is a good addition, would it have killed them to have both Renalda and Cindy Lee in the final season?

The DVD collection is pretty good with regards to its extras. I'm glad they were able to uncover most of the morals (more Joanna footage is never a bad thing) and we even get a glimpse of her appearance on Shazam which we may never see if Warners doesn't get around to releasing that series to DVD one of these days (I was actually pleasantly surprised that I&P was allowed to include the Shazam episodes of Isis in the set; I expected them to be omitted.) The Freedom Force episode was a nice bonus (saves me having to shell out for that set) and the interviews were great, though Joanna is of course conspicuous by her absence. I usually don't double-dip but I'll consider doing so if they ever release a revised version with her involvement.

Isis is gonna be a tough sell to audiences who are spoiled by the high-end CG of Battlestar Galactica or even the new Doctor Who, but if you take an "it is what it is" approach, enjoy the flashback to the 70s, and appreciate the performances of Joanna and her co-stars, I think it's worth your time. And if I may be allowed one more moment of non-political correctness, Isis' costume I thought was a lot sexier than Wonder Woman's. So there! ;-)

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-4
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.