VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]3 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:50:31 12/13/06 Wed
Author: Site Administrator
Author Host/IP: NoHost / 71.31.30.125
Subject: Re: Isis opening/title credits on Ark II dvd set
In reply to: merlin jones 's message, "Re: Isis opening/title credits on Ark II dvd set" on 23:36:17 12/09/06 Sat

>You are telling me they destroyed the NEGATIVES??? Or
>just the existing prints? Surely the original
>negatives are in a vault somewhere...

That would be giving them too much credit.

Don't forget, the Filmation library changed hands at least a time or two before even Hallmark got hold of it. I know it was sold to Westinghouse at one point, L'Oreal (yes, THAT L'Oreal) got hold of a piece of it at one point, Group W handled some of the syndication (no idea if they got physical ownership of the whole thing), Viacom had a hand in some of the syndication.... Frankly, it's a mess!

From what I've been hearing (from people who work for BCI and/or have contacts with people at ER), there are NO existing prints (or negatives) of ANY of the live-action shows. I'm still curious if the original 2" quad videotapes for "The Ghost Busters" still exist or if THOSE were destroyed, too (they certainly existed in the mid-80s as the Continental Home Video masters would've been sourced from them).

I know we all think it's a given that original elements should be preserved, but TV companies are always thinking about the bottom line and storage issues. Heck, even after coming under fire for "tape junking", after the BBC converted all their master tapes to digital formats, the either junked the big 2" quads, or donated them to others.

The real trajedy is, of course, that Hallmark only recorded them in PAL and then, only in an edited form. If they were going to destroy the original materials, one would think they should've preserved a digital master of the full versions of the episodes, and in NTSC as well as PAL. Of course, Hallmark never had any intention of syndicating the live-action stuff in the US again anyway.

Let us all remember that, at least, these should be WAY better than the bootlegs that have done the rounds for years, and at least they were never completely destroyed, unlike a lot of pre-1970s television.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-4
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.