VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 01:08:09 12/13/04 Mon
Author: Robert Gillis
Author Host/IP: cache-mtc-ad01.proxy.aol.com / 64.12.116.195
Subject: Joanna Cameron on Merv Griffin Show 1977-78

Everyone, I taped (on cassette) an interview Joanna did on a talk show in the 1970s and later transcribed it, and years later scanned it onto my computer. I thought you might enjoy reading itÖ

The Merv Griffin Show

Air date unknown (probably 1977 or 1978)

With guests Joanna Cameron, Jack Klugman and Hollstan.

MERV GRIFFIN: Ladies and gentlemen, may I present the young lady who has become famous for appearing in more national commercials than anyone else in advertising history. And thatís established in the, uh, Guinness Book of World Records Yes ... She has the perfect face, and sheís an awfully nice girl to boot, too. Lovely actress, model... Joanna Cameron. Joanna?

[Joanna comes onstage]

MERV: Iím going to put you, unfortunately, between Jack and Hollstan.

JACK KLUGMAN: Unfortunately?

[Everyone laughs]

JACK: She is really gorgeous.

JOANNA CAMERON: Thank you!

MERV: Does a girl in your position ever analyze what sheís got that makes the whole... advertising world want to take pictures of her?

JOANNA: Hmmm. I thought we were going to talk about that. I still think, and Iíve discussed this once or twice, I still think that the real beauty a woman has comes from the inside out. She can be given all the bones, structure, and the education money can buy. And it sheís not a beautiful person, I donít think sheís a beautiful woman.

MERV: I know a lot of girls who are pretty on the inside but not---

JOANNA: Pretty on the outside?

MERV: No! Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone!

[Everyone laughs]

MERV: No! No!

JOANNA: Iíve been told by Mademoiselle that I have a very all-American look, clean all-American look.

MERV: Is that the all-American look?

HOLLSTAN: I think so. Itís that communication with the large public that she really has. I think itís something everybody reacts to.

MERV: Itís that sparkle on the canvas... reacting...

JOANNA: I think eye contact is terribly important.

MERV: You lead a terribly interesting life... Youíre also a woman of great mystery, Joanna, in as much as you never can be found. Now donít deny it.

JOANNA: Thatís true.

MERV: Youíve been to all parts of the globe...

JOANNA: Well again, Iíve been very lucky, and my work has taken me all over the world...

MERV: But itís not only your work.

JOANNA: No.

MERV: Were you in the Greek Islands?

JOANNA: Yes, itís great! Itís the sunrise, and you just kinda feel the atmosphere ... umÖ Iíve been very lucky, I love to travel. And now Iím getting interested in the oriental cultures ... I love to travel! And again Iíve been very lucky because if people want to get me, they call my agent, and heíll get me anywhere in the world.

MERV: And youíll come home?

JOANNA: They pick up the phone and call me, and weíll chat, see if I like it; catch the next plane.

MERV: Plus, Joanna, youíre capable of doing a lot of things that advertisers demand, like, youíre an expert skier. Youíre from Colorado?

JOANNA: Originally. I was born in Aspen.

MERV: Oh, my lord. Iíve never heard of anyone... Born in Aspen! I thought everyone justÖ went there!

JOANNA: And I think John Denver, who was originally from California, kind of made his home in Aspen. Um... My family was there, in the restaurant business. I love to ski, I was almost raised out of doors. I have a horse which I love ...

MERV: Were there any restaurants in Aspen?

JOANNA: Yeah.

MERV: They even took a bank in Aspen and turned it into a restaurant. You eat in a tellers cage. And Iíve been to churches that have been turned into restaurants Uh, what else do you do?

JACK: Iíve been to bars that have been turned into restaurants!

JOANNA: I snow-ski, water-ski, skin dive, scuba and I love to sail, I love to sail by the west side of [unclear] in Hawaii.

MERV: And you live in Hawaii most of the year?

JOANNA: I try to spend... Between four and six months a year in Hawaii and break it up, four weeks at a time.

MERV: Do you ever yearn for a rose covered cottage, [laughs] I thought I was proposing there for a while!

JOANNA: Is that what you mean? Do I want to get married?

MERV: Do you ever yearn to settle down? Youíre so rootless. Not ruthless, rootless.

JOANNA: This last year I have settled down; I have a home in Coldwater Canyon, and I have a couple of German shepherds, I have settled down a little more this year. And as you were saying about America, Iíve been very, lucky to travel, and I love America! And I think there are a lot of great places that I havenít been able to see [pause] One of the reasons Iíve been told I do so many commercials is my athletic ability... And I love sports.

MERV: And a great neck. Iíve never said that to a girl before.

JACK: Sheís a jock!

[Everyone laughs]

JACK: I canít ski, I canít play handball. Horses?

JOANNA: I love horses!

JACK: I donít mean riding them, I mean betting on them!

MERV: Weíll be right back!

[COMMERICAL]

MERV: Talking about great actresses and models, Joanna, youíve posed for, not posed, acted for every great advertiser...

JOANNA: Youíre speaking in line of... the top ten...

MERV: Joanna. Do you approve, or do you care, about the products?

JOANNA: Again, Iíve been very lucky, and my work has been the beauty-cosmetics line, so Iíve been lucky, I never had to take a product I didnít like.

MERV: But does it bother you, that most of your fame, so far, has come from commercials? Does that drive you crazy? I mean, would you like to drop it and win the Academy Award for greatest movie performance?

JOANNA: It doesnít bother me, because it makes it easier to travel. Because, like a lot of other shows Iíve done, itís like a lot of reruns. Commercials to me are like a hit song. It runs fifteen months, eighteen months, people like it, and itís nice. And when I travel, like out of the country because most of my work takes me out of the country, itís a delight to travel, because people recognize you, they donít grab you like youíre Rock Hudson or something, but it does make it nice to travel.

JACK: Can I tell you something?

JOANNA: Sure!

JACK: If you say Rock Hudson could you say me?

JOANNA: Yes!

MERV: But youíre not leading man!

JACK: I am this year!

MERV: Youíre gonna kiss?

JACK: Yep!

MERV: I live up north.

JOANNA: Uh huh.

MERV: One of my neighbors is Clint Eastwood. Eventually heís going to come on and do his act with his monkey which Iím told is the funniest act. Have you met Clint?

JOANNA: On the tennis court.

MERV: Okay. We got to talking about shows this week and he said whoís gonna be on. So I said, Hollstan, Jack Klugman, and Joanna Cameron. And there was dead silence on the phone. And he said, who? And I said, Joanna Cameron. And he said, Isis?

[Joanna laughs]

Merv: And I said, Oh yeah. Sheís gonna be on the show. He said, you know Isis? I have been in love with her... Have you seen her legs? She has the greatest legs in the world.

[Joanna shows her legs]

MERV: Oh ha! Jack, did you see that?

JACK: No, I missed it!

MERV: All you did was stare!

JOANNA: No, thatís very nice!

MERV: You have such good color. Is that from Hawaii?

JOANNA: Well, I have a natural tone, my complexion is about that color.

MERV: Are you redder, because youíve been in the sun recently?

JOANNA: I try not to get too brown, I think itís important for a woman to watch her skin. Itís nice to get a good color, but I think from up here is sufficient.

MERV: Have you done all kinds of modeling?

JOANNA: No, I was in school, and things just kind of snowballed. People started hearing about my athletic ability, that I was easy to work with or whatever, and I just started doing a lot of commercials.

MERV: Were you this pretty in school?

JOANNA: I donít know!

MERV: I mean, were you ever voted anything, homecoming queen?

JOANNA: Fraternity sweetheart, homecoming queen.

MERV: Youíve got to bring those pictures... Have you met [Name is not clear---Sounds like Ravine]

JOANNA: Yes, weíve met.

MERV: Well, heís backstage, coming after these message...

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-4
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.