VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123 ]
Subject: Re: September 81

Author:
Rob Clark (Melancolic)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 02:33:51 03/08/16 Tue

Hi Ashley/Karen,
I was on this cruise too - I had my 15th birthday (10th of October) a day or two after my return home so that ties in with leaving at the end of September 81. We sailed with a handful of fellow pupils from North Axholme Comp in Crowle near Scunthorpe. We sailed from Southampton as I remember - don't think it was Portsmouth. We visited Gibraltar, Livorno in Italy with trips to Florence (the Uffizzi and the Duomo) and Pisa - you could still go up the tower then. Then Sicily - the not so dormant Mount Etna, the Parthenon in Athens and the Library at Ephasus in Turkey - still remember the bullet holes in the coach windscreen from some scrape with Cyprus I think! I was in Gagarin dormitory with a lot of lads from Snaith (always East Riding of Yorkshire) - I was made a prefect as I was a very sensible lad in those days! Recall having a drink with the captain as reward. Also remember scoring only 3 points on our first dorm check - soon got things into shape thereafter. Remember being one of the few who didn't lose the contents of his stomach in the Bay of Biscay but got spewed on by someone on the deck above and soaked by waves breaking over the side - so guess I suffered too. Remember meeting a very nice older woman (16) called Anne and another young lady called Melanie - the SS Uganda (God bless her) had much to answer for in my formative years. Fantastic memories when you're closing in on the big 50 this year. Love to hear from anyone else who remembers this particular voyage of self - discovery.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: September 81Karen C17:41:40 12/18/16 Sun

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.