VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123 ]
Subject: Re: bALTIC CRUISE

Author:
Richard Tarran
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 23:15:52 09/29/14 Mon
In reply to: LIZ ocONNOR 's message, "bALTIC CRUISE" on 17:16:26 12/03/12 Mon

I worked at the Bureau de change, operated by Barclays Bank from April to July 1968 and this was just the best time of my life. Helping to organise race nights and being part of the ship's company was a dream come true. I sailed on 2 Baltic cruises up to Leningrad, as it was called then, and on one of these travelled on the overnight train to Moscow, all at the height of the Cold War. One of the junior officers was Kim Philby's son who made contact with his father in Russia. With two of the ships officers I walked up to the iron curtain when we docked at Peenemunde, en route to Russia and seeing the pill boxes, the heavily armed guards on the other side of the no mans land divide was like a scene from a John Le Carre film. Such amazingly vivid and fond memories.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: bALTIC CRUISERoella nee mooney (Happy)23:03:13 05/07/15 Thu
    Re: bALTIC CRUISEIan McLean (Nostalgia)16:36:44 07/26/16 Tue

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.