VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]45 ]
Subject: Looking for help with Sampson Vet LST 1299 R&SMan

Author:
Daniel Myers
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:35:05 07/16/08 Wed

Looking for anyone that knew my grandfather and a story he told me of his Radio and Signal Man Class. I do not know if he went to Radio and Signal School at Sampson but I know he did do boot camp there. His name was Gilbert Grant Warren from Liberty, NY. Unfortunately he passed away April 9, 2006 in Largo Fl and I have no place to go to get answers about some of the stories he told. He told us when he was at Sampson that he was "in Company D". From the listings it seems to me that the Companies are listed in numbers rather than letters.
Now, the story he told me. He said after he finished his radio training that his entire class was called onto a ship in Norfolk to be addressed by an Admiral. He said that Admiral asked for some small number of volunteers, and about 100 men stepped forward including Grandpa. He said the Admiral then qualified his request with a disclaimer that they were volunteering for a very dangerous mission and probably would not return alive. Grandpa said all 100 men stepped back including himself, and the Admiral was forced to choose the men needed. Grandpa later found out that the mission they were being chosen for was for each one of them to sneak onto the beaches at Normandy the night before the invasion alone, with nothing but a radio to call the ships in around the barriers and a side arm for protection (he said the Admiral told them the Germans would be looking for them as soon as they picked up the radio transmissions, which I don't doubt). Grandpa was not chosen, nor did he know the fate of the men that were, but I was hoping to find out if the story is true, if any of them made it, and why their story is not being told? Why is it still being held a secret? Where can I go to find out if the story is true? Where can I go to find out what men were on this mission?
Also, I was hoping that maybe I could find some of them men Grandpa served with. He served as the signal man on LST 1299, I think it was floatilla 9. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Daniel Myers

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.