VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 08:52:48 12/08/14 Mon
Author: Andy
Subject: Re: Skidoo Olympic 1971
In reply to: Phil 's message, "Skidoo Olympic 1971" on 10:12:15 12/02/14 Tue

That is the worst place for rust due to the moisture from the wood under the seat. I had to do this repair about six times and found best to use a piece of flat metal that I cut from an old furnace oil tank. The piece I use is a little thicker, but it could use extra strength there. I just go to the dump, give them a story and ask if I can cut out a chunk with a reciprocating saw. Then I use a small mig welder with flux cored wire; you can get that at Canadian Tire for a good price on sale. Cut-out where you need to weld, set the new piece and weld all around. Please note that sometimes you have to stop and go because there may still be some thinner areas still in the tunnel, thus it might look a little rough, but just put on another pass if it looks awful and grind off the access. After you are done use a wire wheel on the grinder (not drill for it is too slow); then prime and paint. It takes a bit of work, but if you like to tinker on stuff like most of us do than you won’t mind at all. Depends on how good you are at welding, but nobody would know you did major body work unless they really stared and examined the area effected. Also for those clips for the seat; they can be welded on too; if you go to almost any hardware store you can but six feet of flat steel at 1-inch wide and 1/8-inch thick, put it in the vice and bend it to the desired shape and cut. Best of luck…

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Skidoo Olympic 1971 -- Phil, 08:15:37 12/16/14 Tue

Thanks Andy. Great advice and much appreciated.

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-6
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.