VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 04:30:18 06/09/03 Mon
Author: Roy Schweiker
Subject: Re: Looking for slow hikers
In reply to: Cheryl Suchors 's message, "Looking for slow hikers" on 00:06:59 06/06/03 Fri

>One: I hike much slower than book time. E.g., just hiked
>the Hancocks . Book says should be just about 8 hrs. It
>took my friend and me 11. We took an hour for lunch; we
>looked at plants and toads and other interesting
>creatures; took pictures; snacked. By the time you add in
>pitstops, voila, 11 hrs.

My guidebook says 6.25 hours, but I've never done it that fast myself. Either it's winter and I'm breaking trail, or steamy weather and I rest a lot, like the day a guy died from a heart attack a quarter-mile behind me.

>Two: I can't carry a day pack, for health reasons. I do
>carry a hip pack and wear a fishing vest with pockets.
>which means my gracious friends carry my extra water,
>clothes, food and the first aid kit.

I was on a winter 4000 finishing trip with a woman with shoulder trouble who not only couldn't carry a pack, she couldn't even use a ski pole, but somehow got up with the help of her husband.

You seem to emphasize only the negatives of hiking with yourself. Could you honestly say something like "I love to drive, and would pick you up at home if you don't have a car" or "I'm an expert at plant identification, and would have plenty of time to teach you"?

Many photographers prefer to hike alone so they don't inconvenience others, and by concentrating on getting lightweight equipment I'll bet you could carry everything you need, on warm days at least. The heaviest item is water, and by bringing a pocket filter or chemical treatment you could probably get by with carrying only a pint at a time. Even Owls Head you are never more than a mile from water.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-14
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.