VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 08:51:48 03/27/02 Wed
Author: JohnL.
Subject: Re: 3 Bonds in a Day
In reply to: Lady & the Tramper (aka Heather&Steve) 's message, "3 Bonds in a Day" on 04:51:15 03/12/02 Tue

Three Bonds in a day; one of the nicest hikes in the Whites. Iíve done this hike in a day three different times and three different ways. A solo trip started up the Zealand Trail, over Zealand to Bondcliff and returned the same way. Cool clear day in the fall. Pick a cool day. If you want plenty of sunshine, donít do it in the middle of the summer. Too much strong sun for being above treeline that amount of time. Bring plenty of fluid. Youíre only real reliable place along the trail for refills is the Hut. And thatís a long way from Bondcliff. Do Zealand (if youíre peakbagging) and West Bond on your way in. That leaves the way out a straight shot without worrying about doing any summits. Good pace and water/food intake management are key. Pare down what you carry in your pack. Twenty miles is a long way to carry extra gear that you wonít need. Wear shorts even if it is cool. Long pants can be a drag (literally) on your legs.
You can also do this starting at Zealand and ending up at the Wilderness Trail if you spot cars. Itís a bit easier but only 4/10 of a mile shorter. Or you can start and end on the Wilderness Trail but that is about 2 miles longer than the other two options. The long walk out Wilderness is boring and (for me) tougher on my feet than the rougher trails but is easier on your legs. Same advice for weather, food, water, and pace management apply here.
This is a gorgeous place at peak foliage time. Zeacliff and the Bonds have spectacular color vistas.
One last bit of advice: start at dawn. If your pace is slower than you planned, you donít want to be walking out in the dark. Itís a more accident prone time and itís mentally draining. And Have Fun. email me if you have any specific questions. I also have three fairly detailed trip reports if they are of any interest to you.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• Ways down West Bond -- Roy Schweiker, 06:54:37 11/20/02 Wed
    VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
    Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
    * HTML allowed in marked fields.
    Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-14
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.