-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:04:22 07/18/04 Sun
Author: Anon.
Subject: another prezzie traverse post...

Just thought I’d share my experience from this past weekend…

My co-worker and I have been talking about doing the Traverse for some time, and decided, a few weeks ago that the 17th would be the day (regardless of the weather). Me personally wasn’t all that concerned about the weather, since I have just hiked up Huntington the week before in the rain and was not uncomfortable, nor was I concerned about my well being during the hike.

Any rate, back to the Traverse. We decided to hike up the Daniel-Webster Scout Trail since it didn’t seem to get much use, and I wanted to try something different. Also I thought that staying at the Dolly Copp campground was rather convenient, being really, really close to the trailhead. We came up on Friday night (7/16/04), did the sorting out of some gear (we packed prior to heading out) and just had a quick bite, and went to bed before dark. We set the alarm for 03:30; got up, and we were on our way around 04:15. Unfortunately I didn’t keep a good record of the times, but we’ve hiked with headlamps for maybe 30 minutes or so, shutting them off as soon as it was light enough to safely hike the trail. It was cloudy / foggy for the most part, by the time we reached the Osgood Junction it was starting to rain. Out came the Gore-Tex and not too long after that, we reached the summit of Mt. Madison. After a brief celebratory hi-five, we proceeded to descend to the Hut; where we were greeted by a hut full of breakfast eating eyes staring at the two sorry looking hikers. After a few minutes of cold stares, we decided to keep on, before our legs got a bit too stiff from the standing around.

Passing Star Lake and continuing on to Mt. Adams, the rain continued, however we were not cold, despite being rather soaked on our legs. It was at about this time, or shortly after that my socks were completely soaked in my boots and was squishing with every step. If I remember correctly, we reached the summit of Mt. Adams approximately 08:00 or so. After leaving Adams, and getting a bit confused with the signs we were seeing, we managed to get back on track, possibly losing about 30 minutes. During this whole time, I would say the visibility was about a few hundred feet at best, making the map and compass drill a fairly common practice.

It was relatively uneventful after this, as we made steady progress to Mt. Washington, summiting Jefferson and Clay in low visibility. We’ve met a few people on the trail, but for the most part, we felt like we were on our own. As we approached Washington, we met a girl who was somewhat lost, and in the process of helping her out, got ourselves a 3rd member of our “party”. By this point, the rain has completely stopped and it appeared that the weather “might” improve. I’ve shed the Gore-Tex at this point, and was in my base layers.

Having lunch and wringing out our socks at Washington, we left the summit and all its comforts shortly after 12:00. Again, it was quite uneventful, except for our unexpected companion, who to our surprise was able to keep up with us. Again, the map and compass drill was a relatively common occurrence, mostly due to the low visibility, not being able to find landmarks to get a visual bearing.

At about Mt. Franklin, the views started to open up. Was able to see the Eisenhower and landmarks in the valley, such as the Mt. Washington Hotel and the Cog trains chugging up the mountain. It was quite nice indeed; I ended up with sunburn!

At any rate, the rest of the decent was rather uneventful, other than sore feet and knees. A quick check of the time when we got to the other vehicle… Just a hair under 12 hours. I’d have to say it was a great day out despite the weather. The pints of beer and the steak went down very nicely indeed!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post, I’ll try to check as oft as I can and answer them.



[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]


VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

  Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

  E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-14
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.