VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 04:46:26 10/13/04 Wed
Author: E. Schlimmer
Subject: Here's a generalized answer
In reply to: Nate 's message, "Summit Cannisters" on 09:57:49 10/29/03 Wed

Hello Nate. This question has been asked often, but year-by-year the answers change, so your question is still legit! Usually, no canisters are found on trailled peaks. Within the last four years I have found canisters on the New England 100 highest peaks listed below. All were trailless:

1. Mendon Peak, VT (3,840')
2. Elephant Mountain SW Peak, ME (3,772')
3. Boundary Peak, ME (3,885')
4. Vose Spur, NH (3,682')
5. Mount Redington N Peak, ME (4,010')
6. Scar Ridge W Peak, NH (3,774')
7. "The Nubble," NH (3,813') This peak now has an illegally cut trail up the east side.
8. Snow Mountain, ME (3,784') This is the lower of the two Snow Mountains in Maine. This peak may now be on the New England 100 highest list. I'm not sure.

The trailless New England 100 highest peaks I found no canisters on were:

1. Fort Mountain, ME (3,867'). This peak, in most people's opinion, has a herd path to it from North Brother.
2. East Kennegabo Mountain, ME (3,791')

Why some of these peaks have canisters and others do not is of usually two reasons. One is that someone took it. This may be because it was not legal (for example, all summit canisters whether put up my individuals or the Adirondack Forty-Sixers are illegal on state land in NY) or someone just didn't want that canister up there for personal reasons. The other thing is that the canister may still be up there, but it fell off the tree or the whole damn tree just fell over. If you don't see a canister on the summit tree, I'd suggest poking around on the ground for a minute or two.

Now concerning the big picture, nearly every single trailless 3,000-foot peak in New England (there are 451 3,000-footers in New England and 226 have no trails)
has a canister on top. These are usually glass jars with a tiny notebook and pencil inside. They were put up in the mid to late 1980's. Many are either wet inside or missing, though most are still ok. But Nate, before you go looking for these canisters on the lower peaks (those below the ~3,750' level) remember that it is a questionable hobby to bushwhack five hours through scrub, blowdown, and neck-high hobblebush to reach a viewless, nameless 3,000-foot hill in a township that no one lives in just to sign your name on a piece of paper. I hope this answers your question. -E. Schlimmer

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-14
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.