VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 22:42:21 09/27/10 Mon
Author: Tomoko (:-))
Subject: Re: Borther to Fort
In reply to: Schlimmer 's message, "Borther to Fort" on 10:22:24 09/03/02 Tue

I hiked/bushwhacking at Baxter State Park on 9/11 and 9/12.
Actually I made 4-days multiple day-hikes plan starting from 9/9. On 9/9, I covered Bigelow Range for 3 peaks - West Peak(4145 ft), The Horns(3805 ft) and Avery Peak(4086 ft). All 3 are NE 100 Highest. After the hike, I stayed in Motel in Rangeley. On 9/10, I covered Saddleback(4120 ft) as well as Saddleback-The Horn(4041 ft). I intentionally used Ski Trails instead of AT to cut hiking mileage at Day-2. At the base of the Saddleback mountain around the lodge, I saw 3 mooses.(1 mom and 2 kids moose!)
I started to hike just after 8AM and finished hike before noon. Then, I headed out to Baxter State Park on 9/10 afternoon for 3.5 hours drive from Rangeley. I stayed in Motel in Millinocket at night. On 9/11, I woke up 4AM and left motel at 4:30AM after eating breakfast. I passed the entrance gate of Baxter State Park and reached to the parking lot of Roaring Brook Campground before 6AM.(Yes, I got lost a bit to find out state park entrance gate) So I started to hike just before 6AM and I passed over many hikers (more than 30 people or so one by one) and reached to Hamlin Peak as the first person of the day before 9AM. Then, I got to Baxter Peak. And South Peak, Pamola Peak through Knife Edge, and come back to the parking lot around 3:45PM or so. I stayed in Motel Millinocket one more night. On 9/12, I covered 4 peaks - North Brother, Fort, South Brother and Coe. I started to hike around 6:30AM or so and completed it around 5 or 5:30PM. Bushwhacking from North Bro to Fort wasn't really difficult. I kept an eye on herd path very closely almost all the time and I lost it only one time when I come back very close to the North Brother summit from Fort. If we carefully watch herd path, we don't miss it while there are overgrown spruces which I needed to crawl and 2 sections where it looks like multiple herd paths here and there. So I carefully chose which herd path I should take. In overall, this bushwhacking to Mt Fort is much much easier than Elephant, White Cap, NKD bushwhacking in ME. It worked very well and I covered 11/100 peaks in ME within 4 multiple day-hikes.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-14
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.