VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:42:30 09/08/02 Sun
Author: Roy Schweiker
Subject: Depends of weather & your metabolism
In reply to: Zeke 's message, "Winter boots" on 05:05:05 09/05/02 Thu

>I'm interested in winter climbing but am confused as
>to what kinds of winter boots are most appropriate.
>Some people seem to swear by Sorels, some swear by
>plastic boots, etc.

It's like with any other type of gear, one thing isn't best for all occasions and some people can get very dogmatic. I have climbed all the winter 4000-footers wearing ordinary rubber boots and I know people who have climbed them all with galoshes over leather work shoes. I saw a guy climbing Mt.Washington in winter with the rubber boots over his shoulder by their shoelaces since he was wearing crampons on his leather boots. On the other hand, don't try this in extreme weather and don't expect guide services, AMC trips, etc. to take you with this sort of equipment.

>Will they accept crampons?

Westerners will laugh at the idea of wearing soft boots in snow at all. Crampons tend to come off flexible boots. Many models of crampons sold today require a welt to attach to, i.e. plastic boots.

Lots of people wear crampons on soft boots for trail hiking. Do not try ice climbing in them.

My best advice on any sort of equipment is to get what your friends have, what the club you expect to go with recommends, etc. Hopefully they really know what is best, but even if they don't if everybody has the same you will all be in the same boat instead of somebody with stuff better suited for particular conditions having to wait for the others.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-14
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.