VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 02:12:16 10/29/06 Sun
Author: Agnes (oh .. you caught the bug...)
Subject: Re: Is it okay to keep a Wild Flyer as a Pet?
In reply to: Squiggy's Mom 's message, "Is it okay to keep a Wild Flyer as a Pet?" on 23:48:30 10/28/06 Sat

I'm surprised that you haven't heard from anyone but Connie yet... Everyone must have a busy weekend. But you have come to the right place. I will try to help ... Every one here , especially Beverly, has taught me what I know for the pass 4 years. By now you have figured out they are nocturnal and do not like brightlights on those big black eyes...

1.) Does he need protein and what else can I give him if He wont eat eggs,chicken or mealworms?Do the nuts and seeds provide enough?

Yes.. and its very important that you keep a mixture of shelled and unshelled nuts in his cage. Sunflower seeds are also good and loaded with protein. But also very fatty, so just a few a day. The only mealy worms mine like are the ones you buy in a can in the reptile department. They are called " Med Zoo " Mine love those, I give them once or twice a week. Other people find their flyers prefer to live mealys.

2) Where can I find plans and directions for building him a really big cage?

That I am not sure, but I do know where the most reasonable ones to buy, "http://www.martinscages.com/" If I find some plans I will send them to you.. send me your email and I will ask a friend of mine to help you.

3) What do I do if he gets hurt or sick?What precautions should I be taking to try to prevent that from even happening?

Find the closes state near you that allows flyers. Locate a vet that will see her. And be prepared to make the trip if she gets sick. Thats what most of us do. I find them to be pretty healthy little critters if they are fed correctly. You can't let her out if you do not have a safe room. Cdonnie has trained hers to go into a travel cage and she goes with her from room to room. Even to work with her. etc..

4)Am I awful for not wanting to release him back into the wild?I understand that they only live 2-3 years in the wild,but up to 15 in captivity...I love him to pieces...

You are not wrong.. It sounds to me that she is young and has accepted you just find. But you do need to find a place that you can let her out for a couple hours a day to play with you and bond. Staying in her cage 24/7 is not good. Unless you can have a walk in one made like I have. Like you my flyers would get killed out of the aviary, but I sit in there and read or just play with them..

5)How can I tell his/her gender?Is it obvious? I didnt see anything where I would think I would find "boy" parts-so does that mean for sure its a "she"

If you do not see male parts, than he is very young or he is a she which I suspect... You wont need to neuter a flyer unless you bring home another of the opposite sex. lol

Make sure you pick up some LM Vitamins for Rodents for his FRESH WATER DISH EVERY NIGHT, this is very important. The calcuim is good, also a little yogurt will go a long way to keeping her healthy. She needs fresh fruit peices every day, I also give a little natural unsweeten apple sauce with mine, becasue I have so many and some time , soneone does not care for the fruit of the day. But they all love applesauce. You need to give her veggies every day.. Mine go crazy over frozen mix veggies. With only one baby you could take a plate and put a little of each on same plate , EVERY NIGHT. It will take you 5 minutes and your baby will have everything she needs to stay healthy..
HOF _ means _ Human owned flyer..
You keep us posted and we will all help you with your new baby... Good luck

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.