VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:00:19 11/08/06 Wed
Author: Beverly
Subject: I'm with Sara. I put vits in my flyers' water ...
In reply to: S. K. Dixon 's message, "Re: Vitamins and Supplements?" on 08:33:59 11/08/06 Wed

(I'm with Sara. I put vits in my flyers' water ..., and I don't provide a 'plain water' dish. Everyone seems to be doing quite well.

Did have a 'prison break' on Sunday. I'd watched some morning TV in the den, then went out to work in the yard, but failed to close the den door. Now, with the return of Autumn, and the return to 'standard' time, it seems the sun sets way before I'm ready to quit, outside (or anywhere near done, outside, either ....). So, when dusk settled, I was just coming inside -- and that's when I realised that the den was open -- and the boys where gone!

This is a fairly big, open house. And, I'm the Queen of Clutter -- sooooo, until I heard the sound of someone gnawing on a nut, coming from one of the bedroom closets, I had no idea where the boys might be hiding. Going to the closet, I saw two, and heard a third, of the boys. Now, it was a contest.

The first of the boys (Atom) jumped right to me, from the upper shelf (which houses several shoe boxes and out-of-season purses). Too late, he realised his 'mistake', for as soon as he was on my back, I made a bee-line for the den. Atom was back in the den before he had a chance to jump back off me. One 'down'. Four to go.

The next two in the closet were 'cagey' -- I had to go from blazer to blazer, checking pockets (from which I retreived not fewer than a half dozen hazelnuts!!! How long had these little monsters been planning this break????) Eventually, they got tired of running from the shoulder of one jacket to another, and 'quit' moving. I took Mike, with the jacket he was resting upon, to the den. Pagan was next -- but he was galant, and did finally jump to my shoulder, for a ride back to the den.

Three back -- two to go. But where were they?? I though I heard a noise from the kitchen -- my hanging pots clattered just a bit. But no sign of the culprit -- and a great danger of losing this fellow to the kitchen fieldstone barbque pit. Although the flue is closed, the fieldstone has several places where it has gaps where it meets the drywall -- mouse size gaps -- perfect for a flyer to escape into the house framing. Sigh. Nothing to do, but wait, and hope.

Then, going into the second of the main floor bedrooms (the 'Roberta Ramona Rowena Raccoon Room', so named for all the raccoon collectibles; this room also houses my squirrel, raccoon and dog books, and collectibles), I spied Irving perched on the doortop. As soon as he saw me 'spot' him, he dropped off the door to the towels that hang behind it (as the main floor rooms are used as guest rooms, I keep guest bath towels on wall hung racks, behind the bedroom doors. The towels are hung in a fold that provides the perfect 'hammock' for an AWOL flyer!). Without much ado, Irving did jump to my offered palm, and rode my shoulder as I went back into the den.

Getting him off my person was another task -- Irving delights in just running circles around my torso, avoiding being 'discharged' from his warm, mobile tree. Sitting down usually has the desired effect, and it worked well. Irving jumped off my shoulder to the couch, and back to the den closet drey, where his three brothers had already snuggled down under the cotton bedding in one of the closet nest boxes.

One more flyer to go -- but no sign of him, anywhere. Yak is the smallest of the five boys -- and would easily slip into the gaps between the fieldstone and the drywall. Also, as once the boys were out of the den, they had 'run' of the whole house, Yak might also be anywhere in the kitchen, the 'great room', or the upper floor loft. He would not have a way into the loft bedroom (the girls' quarters), but he'd have plenty of other places to hide. Not a sound, not a sight, of Yak. Sigh. I finally went back into the den, thinking perhaps Yak had not joined his fellow flyers, and had stayed somewhere in the den. The den has ceiling to floor drapes over the 8' sliding glass doors to the outside, as well as quilted window drapes into which the boys had already created holes, giving them access to the inside of the quilt drapes. They love to store hazelnuts inside the drapes, and will often take naps inside the drapes, as well. I began a thorough search -- and also used the opportunity to do a fall cleaning -- but no Yak. I finally quit, and 'hit the hay', sleeping in the den on the couch, for the night.

In the morning, I hoped I'd spot some sign of Yak -- but no, nothing I could spot indicated, for sure, that Yak was still in the house. I used great care, going in and out of the house, as the doors here are all sliding glass, and have full draperies hung to pull across, in the evening. Just perfect for a flyer to be waiting for a door to open, and them to be outside in a flash. I'd also put a few dishes of water out, fearing that Yak might easily and quickly dehydrate, without access to the den and his usual water supply. I considered dusting the counters with flour, so I'd be able to see tracks from Yak, should he visit the water dishes -- but decided there was already enough dust!!! lol!

By Tuesday morning, I figured Yak must have gotten out, and resigned myself to never seeing my littlest boy flyer, again. I took care of the 'usual' chores, made a run to Pa for hay, then came home and got dressed to go out and vote. I was back home by 8 p.m., changed back into 'barn' clothes, and went out to bring the horses in for the night. When I was finished, I came up and went into the main floor bathroom, to get into my jammies. Sitting on the commode as a seat, I heard the scamper of a little critter coming down the hall, and sure enough, there was Yak, who jumped to my leg, then my shoulder, then to my neck, to 'snuggle' into my hair! I was soooo happy to see him -- and he seemed delighted to be taken back into the den. He greeted two of his brothers, then went to the den water dish, took a long drink, then popped into the nestbox. I wonder where he spent the two nights; but I'm sure glad he's back!!!

It's time, I think, to take the boys upstairs, and re-acquaint them with the distaff side of the flyer family.

>I have heard others say the same thing--if you are
>feeding them correctly, you don't need vitamins, etc.
>HOWEVER, just because I put all the good stuff out
>there doesn't mean they eat it! (And when you have
>more than one, how do you know who eats what?) Soooo,
>to cover my bases, I put vitamins in the water and a
>couple of times a week some calcium on their food.
>Makes good sense to me! You could just tell her what
>she wants to hear and then do exactly as you think
>best! Cheaper than taking her to visit your vet! lol!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>>If you give your flyer plain water too, how can you
>>be sure she is getting the vitamins in her?? I think
>>if I gave mine a choice, they'd only drink the plain
>>water....
>>You know I have a chinchilla rescuer, if that is what
>>they are called. she's bring me a family of chins
>>this sunday. She wants me to stop all vitamin in
>>their water even my rabbits. She claims that , if I am
>>feeding them good food they do not need
>>vitamins....... I'm really torn up in what to do. My
>>Vet told me to give the rabbits and chins a few
>>peanuts a week and she freaked out over that. Her
>>words were, I can not believe any Vet told you that...
>>Maybe , I should take this lady to my Vet...

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.