VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07:31:58 08/10/07 Fri
Author: Beverly
Subject: All you can do, under the circumstance, is try! It's a dilemma ...
In reply to: Mary 's message, "Re: Glad to hear from you, Mary, and hope the little girl continues ..." on 00:27:51 08/10/07 Fri

(All you can do, under the circumstance, is try! It's a dilemma ...), of course, to know whether giving the little girl the formula is just making her less likely to get her share of Momma's milk, or helping her by increasing her caloric intake.

You could try adding a tiny bit of sugar syrup (just disolve a tablespoon of sugar in two tablespoons of water), to the formula (or Karo syrup -- but not honey!), to see if that will encourage the pup to take in the formula. And, I'd only try to give her formula about twice a day -- but I'd allow a good deal of time to accomplish it!

BTW, does Momma leave the boys, when you've got the little girl out of the nest? Is it possible for you to observe the family together, to see if Momma makes an effort to keep the little girl under her, as she likely does with the boys? If not, then you might as well take her on as an orphan, as soon as possible. It may be that Momma herself isn't allowing the little girl any nipple time.

Also -- forgive me for not remembering -- do you have just one adult female? If you have two, there's a chance that what you've got is a 'mixed' litter. Some Mommas will 'pupnap' another female's pup, and add it to their own litter -- I did have that problem, once! I had to prevent the 'alpha' momma from taking a subordinate female's pups!

Be careful with the formula, if the little girl is 'slow' to swallow. I usually just applied the droplet to the cleft in the pup's muzzle, and let the pup 'suck' the droplet in. This prevents the possibility of getting the formula in the pup's lungs.

Sending all good wishes to the little one, and best luck to you, in your effort to help her!

>I'm still really worried about the littlest one. The
>other two are completely furred, eyes open, she
>doesn't have all of her fur and her eyes are still
>closed. I've been supplementing with Esiblac, but it
>seems that she doesn't want to swallow; it takes about
>15 minutes just to get a few drops down her.
>Hopefully she is a fighter. My only other option
>would be to take the two big boys out of the box, and
>hope mamma just feeds the little one, but when I did
>that before, she wouldn't go back in unless I put the
>other two back. I guess if she made it this far, four
>weeks now, the there is a chance.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.