VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 12:53:46 01/02/08 Wed
Author: theMaster
Subject: YES, I was the assistant coach on two HS state championship teams in NJ!
In reply to: the assistant 's message, "do you coach?" on 11:37:06 01/02/08 Wed

Yes, I have coached both loaded teams and teams that struggled with basic fundamentals when I lived in NJ. What real expereince are you bringing to the table here? Truthfully, you sound like a parent of a bench player who got his "moment" in a tournament like this and now want to justify the meaning of it. Your "cliches" make you sound like your talking about a 5th grade team not a high school team. This is one of the biggest problems facing coaches in all sports in HS today, the idea that you can't talk straight to both players & parents. It is not the end of world to be honest with a kid & his family about his skills & potential.

Have you watched any of these teams play regular season games and then watch how they are handled during a loser's bracket game? The substituion patterns are different, a player with 3 or 4 fouls is allowed to keep playing when he would be put on the bench during a real game, etc. I could go on & on, I have been in coaches meetings when we have discussed these exact issues and how we will handle our bench during a game. It is radically different during a scrimmage, a xmas tourney, regular season, state play-offs.

Of course the kids playing in these kinds of holiday tournaments play hard, they know its a good chance to show the coaches that their own skill sets are improving. I have never known a coach who gave the number 10 guy on the team significant playing time in a game such as we are discussing a bigger role as the seaon went on because he poured in 15 points against another teams #10 player.

These games are exactly what they are, glorified scrimmages. A buddy of mine mentioned to me that last year on the last day of the Oyster River tourney, two teams playing in the 7th place game brought their JV teams to play each other! He said he had never seen that before!

just curious....Do you pick your Super Bowl favorites based on the NFL preseaon ? How much playing time have the Patriot back-up QBs gotten during the 16 wins versus their time in the preseason? It's all the same thing!

Your reasoning would only hold true for a team that was not expecting to win but a handful of games all year. I AGREEDED with you on that. Any kind of win is big for a team expecting to challenge for last place.

"Building confidence and getting bench players time on the floor in turn makes them feel like MORE of a part of the team, and in turn has them working harder in practice. "

More a part of the team???? So by this point (6 weeks after making the team) they dont understand why they are on the team?

If you have not explained their role on the team to them before you placed them on the roster, then you are not much of a coach. A coach who fails to do this with each and every player on his roster is just setting up a situation for the player and the parents to complain. Bench players and reserves understand that their biggest contribution to the team is to push the starters during practice. This work and off-season clinics & other team play such as AAU or summer leagues is how a sophomore with potential becomes a good player as a junior or a senior.

If you need a xmas tournament to get the max out of your players, your not much of a coach.

"This is really a silly subject I think."

You seem to missing the point of the thread. Many posters were claiming the Alvirne team to be a top team in L this year. In other threads many have defended the fact that 6 or 7 of their players are rated as in the top 20 of their class in the state. My point was simple. If you beleive all that hype, then one would EXPECT them compete for the title of a xmas tournament, not fall to the losers bracket after the first game.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.