VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 05:52:39 01/09/08 Wed
Author: OR Fan
Subject: Pure Teamwork Vs One Man Gang
In reply to: Swammi 's message, "Class I Swammi" on 19:33:39 01/07/08 Mon

Anyone else attend last nights Oyster River-St. Thomas game? I am wondering if others saw the things I saw.

OR has playing great TEAM basketball this season. Not always flashy or spectacular, but always enough to win (other than the title game of their own Christmas tournament - a loss to a team from RI). I think many people felt this was going to be a year were the whole focus would be on Coach Maynard's son Trevor. Nothing could be further from the truth. He has been just another component on what has become a very good TEAM. Tehy remind me of the Patriots first Super Bowl team. No superstars, just a bunch of good players who understand there roles. They are not overly big or a very quick team, but they are very sound fundamentaly. They did turn the ball over a lot last night, but most of time they stepped up the defensive intensity and did not give up a lot of points off hose turnovers.

It was an interesting constrast watching the game last night. Two "star" players (Mayard & Matt McLaughlin from STA) handling things in two completely different ways. Everyone knows STA now has 2 of their best players sitting on the end of the bench, but they have have become a one man show with the 4 guys on the court standing waiting for McLaughlin to do something. It looked to me like Coach Maynard's defensive stragey was pretty simple. Double him on every screen and every time he went into the corners and see if he can find the open man. He does not seem to see the floor very well or adjust to what the defense is doing. There were many pick & roll plays that he did not hit his teammates on. Also early in the game STA was getting some good inside play from their only reamining big guy, but then it seemed that McLaughlin started forcing shots in double & triple team situations. He must have taken at least 2/3 of the shots his team took. At halftime, ST. Thomas only had 18 points. According to the online write-up in our local paper, they only scored 5 pts in the 2nd quarter and 7 in the 3rd. (less than a point per minute).

Meanwhile Maynard was distributing the ball, playing good low post defense and taking his shots when they were there.
Certainly part of the differnce is the level of talent surrounding each of these players, biut I found it to be an interesting contrast between the idea of playing within yourself and allowing the teams offensive system to work VS the one guy will do it all and the rest of us will watch method.

In the end, McLaughlin got 20 pts, Maynard got 17....and the win.

Did anyone else see this game? Do you agree or disagree with my observations?

The link to the writeup is

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080109/GJSPORTS_01/115483231/-1/FOSSPORTS

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.