VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: Re: Can I use my old 6400/180 7.5 for viewing digital photos?

Author:
John (ancient)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:32:52 01/23/15 Fri
In reply to: Cindetta 's message, "Can I use my old 6400/180 7.5 for viewing digital photos?" on 07:49:13 01/23/15 Fri

My 6400s have been chugging away all of this time (with an occasional replacement of the hard drive. I no longer have a Windoze device but did transfer photographs from iPhoto this morning from a 13" MacBook (late 2006) running Lion 10.7.5 to my 6400. A double click opened the photograph and the scanned photograph within Picture Viewer (QuickTime) without any delay. I transferred them using a USB stick. If you have upgraded your 6400 to allow the use of a USB stick then you need to have an old (please notice the old) USB stick, my memory says the 6400 doesn't like the newer ones. If not, then try the CD route. There may be a problem with QuickTime reading Windoze formatted documents. You might write the photographs to a CD, then open it on someone else's Macintosh and transfer them to another CD written by that Macintosh. I suspect that you may want to also replace the battery on your 6400.

That was the good news. The flashing question-mark of a floppy disk usually indicates that the computer cannot locate a valid startup disk. Do you remember whether the 6400 was working when you set it aside? Try letting it sit for several minutes to see if it eventually finds a startup disk. Restart it a few times. It may be a problem of corrosion of the connections between the startup disk and the logic board (open it up and jiggle the boards within their connections. Read more on this website before attempting to do any of this.) Or the disk may need to be reformatted or replaced. Relatively easy to do if you can find the original floppy disks. If you replace the hard drive you will need to buy a small one and separate it into multiple segments. I assume that all unnecessary cables were removed before attempting a startup. After all these years it may just be a dead battery. That happened to me. Replacing the battery requires opening up the computer and any time you do that you need to be grounded to avoid static electricity. If you can find your original startup disks then try that.

If it was me I would replace the battery as that is a small expense. Hope that this helps. Memory says that replacing the battery is shown within the website.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Can I use my old 6400/180 7.5 for viewing digital photos?Cindetta17:03:55 01/24/15 Sat

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.