VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: Putting an SSD in a Macintosh 5400/180

Author:
Nathan Vos
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:54:50 10/24/15 Sat

Hello Mr. Koons,

I wanted to say thank you for keeping the 6400 Zone and this website open. It has been a tremendous resource for me. I have been tinkering with an old Macintosh 5400/180 that I bought from my middle school when I was in high school for a dollar about 7-8 years ago. The computers were used in our middle school for typing classes and were long retired when I bought this model.

It sat in storage for the longest time because I did not know the password to get around the "At Ease" program. About a month ago, I took it out of storage looking for something to do and got past that program and updated the 7.6 to the 9.1 system. I even got it on the internet with a PCI ethernet card! It has been fun to tinker with and have played some old games on it. After ordering two 64mb sticks of RAM for it (it only had 16mb, I think), the computer runs much quicker.

I would not have been able to do most of this if I had not been able to read through your websites, so thanks again.

I did have one question to anyone out there and this may not have an answer, I was worried about the age of the hard drive and how much longer it may last, as I know the computer has the original 1.2 GB that came with it. I have seen cards that fit into older Macs (like for the IIGS - another computer I have in storage) that replace the hard drive with an SD card or a Compact Flash card. I hadn't seen one for computers like these, but would it be possible to put a SSD in this computer? Since I had an 80gb SSD sitting around, I ordered a USB 1.1 Opti Firelink 82C861 PCI card for the computer. I was going to see if the computer recognized the SSD through the USB then clone the old hard drive using Toast on the computer and putting it on the SDD to replace the aging hardrive. Anyone let me know if this is a fanciful idea. You don't see too many of these computers running anymore, and I just wanted to take some preventative measures. I hope to see the websites continuing strong!

Thanks again,

Nathan Vos

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Putting an SSD in a Macintosh 5400/180Jeremy Mitchell02:23:07 12/20/15 Sun

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.