VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: Re: Putting an SSD in a Macintosh 5400/180

Author:
Nathan Vos
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:48:23 12/31/15 Thu
In reply to: Jeremy Mitchell 's message, "Re: Putting an SSD in a Macintosh 5400/180" on 02:23:07 12/20/15 Sun

Thank you for the response. I was considering an option like that, but the 5400 only has one PCI slot and I wanted to use that for ethernet or usb (which I later got a CommSlot II ethernet card on ebay for about 10 dollars to free up the PCI and a Keyspan 1.1 usb card to fit the PCI later - I had a ethernet card in the pci slot originally). Anyway, I had seen those on OWC and was considering that route as I was out of ideas. I was even thinking of buying an SSD with IDE, but they were far more expensive than a SATA SSD. What I did though was so simple I never thought about it before. For about 5 dollars I bought an IDE to SATA adapter. It was a green circuit board that plugged into the SSD's data and power slots and the other side plugged into the IDE ribbon and the 4 pin molex where the hard drive was installed. I then put in the Mac OS 9.1 install disc and booted from it (I think you press the C button on the keyboard until it boots from CD), formatted the drive to HFS Extended, and installed OS 9.1 on the SSD. I couldn't believe it worked. The computer is a lot quicker too. Then with a IDE to USB adapter, I transferred what I wanted off of the 1.2 GB hard drive. I miss the old and loud hard drive sound (the kind of sound that new hard drives don't sound like) but I know now that the computer can continue to live for years to come. Plus, did I mention it is not as painfully slow?

Also, Mr. Koons responded to an email I had sent to his old website 6400 Zone regarding this matter. I think I copied it and pasted it to this forum. Nice guy and very informative.

Let me know how that card worked though, it looked cool.

-Nathan Vos

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Putting an SSD in a Macintosh 5400/180Dean Shepherd (Sextatic)09:40:07 12/16/16 Fri

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.