VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: Re: Putting an SSD in a Macintosh 5400/180

Author:
Nathan Vos
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 13:48:23 12/31/15 Thu
In reply to: Jeremy Mitchell 's message, "Re: Putting an SSD in a Macintosh 5400/180" on 02:23:07 12/20/15 Sun

Thank you for the response. I was considering an option like that, but the 5400 only has one PCI slot and I wanted to use that for ethernet or usb (which I later got a CommSlot II ethernet card on ebay for about 10 dollars to free up the PCI and a Keyspan 1.1 usb card to fit the PCI later - I had a ethernet card in the pci slot originally). Anyway, I had seen those on OWC and was considering that route as I was out of ideas. I was even thinking of buying an SSD with IDE, but they were far more expensive than a SATA SSD. What I did though was so simple I never thought about it before. For about 5 dollars I bought an IDE to SATA adapter. It was a green circuit board that plugged into the SSD's data and power slots and the other side plugged into the IDE ribbon and the 4 pin molex where the hard drive was installed. I then put in the Mac OS 9.1 install disc and booted from it (I think you press the C button on the keyboard until it boots from CD), formatted the drive to HFS Extended, and installed OS 9.1 on the SSD. I couldn't believe it worked. The computer is a lot quicker too. Then with a IDE to USB adapter, I transferred what I wanted off of the 1.2 GB hard drive. I miss the old and loud hard drive sound (the kind of sound that new hard drives don't sound like) but I know now that the computer can continue to live for years to come. Plus, did I mention it is not as painfully slow?

Also, Mr. Koons responded to an email I had sent to his old website 6400 Zone regarding this matter. I think I copied it and pasted it to this forum. Nice guy and very informative.

Let me know how that card worked though, it looked cool.

-Nathan Vos

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Putting an SSD in a Macintosh 5400/180Dean Shepherd (Sextatic)09:40:07 12/16/16 Fri

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.