VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: Re: Performa 6400/200 stays always powered ON

Author:
John (anciente)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 07:46:21 06/16/18 Sat
In reply to: Chicco 's message, "Performa 6400/200 stays always powered ON" on 06:13:18 06/14/18 Thu

I assume that you have tried the following.

When the 6400 computer is not running properly (but the battery inside is still working) try the following:
⌘ option PR - press and hold all these keys at the same time at startup to reset the SCSI port. Do this 4 to 5 times. Then enter the system folder and within that folder find the preferences folder. Open that and within the preferences folder find and discard “sound preferences”.
⌘ space – press and hold all these keys at the same time at startup to open the extensions window to allow specific extensions to be turned off.
⌘shift – press and hold all these keys at the same time at startup to turn off all extensions. Then if the computer runs properly this suggests that one or more extension is causing the problem. Try running the computer with one (or more) extension turned off at a time.

Which OS are you running? My memory suggests that some extensions in OS 9.2 would not allow the 6400 to run properly. My memory also suggests that 9.1 was the maximum recommended. Having said that I believe that I am running 9.1 with but having later added a few of the 9.2 extensions.

Have you tried shutting down the 6400 using the power standby button on the back top beside the video port. Press and hold until it shuts down.

I am sure that you know that if you continue to shut down the computer while the hard drive is running you will destroy the hard drive.

Have you rebuilt the desktop? http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/desktops/0300027APRF6400UM.PDF

This sounds like a hardware issue. Note that you should always be grounded when opening up a computer. And the computer off and unplugged. Perhaps when you opened up the computer you jiggled one of the boards and partially dealt with corrosion on the contact points. I would suggest that you gently remove the board and reseat it. In the past I had a problem with what appeared to be a failing video card/monitor that was caused by me adding a PCI card and slightly dislodging a board. Months later, upon adding another PCI card I happened to (notice that I) ever so slightly reseated the board and voila, video problem disappeared.

Are there any peripherals attached to the computer that can be removed? Any additional PCI cards that are unnecessary and can be (temporarily) removed?

How was the keyboard stored? Was something sitting on it such that the power button is depressed and in contact? Was something sitting on a cable that caused insulation to fail and wires to contact? Is there corrosion on the keyboard (or other) port?

I hope that something here helps. Of all my Macintosh computers, beginning with the the original 128K machine the 6400 (while initially a monster) is the one that lasted the longest and is still useful today.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Performa 6400/200 stays always powered ONChicco06:00:18 06/17/18 Sun

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.