VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: Re: Performa 6400/200 stays always powered ON

Author:
John (ancient)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:09:34 06/18/18 Mon
In reply to: Chicco 's message, "Re: Performa 6400/200 stays always powered ON" on 06:00:18 06/17/18 Sun

As I understand it initially the 6400 would not start. You opened up the computer and replaced the PRAM battery. You cleaned up the board where the battery had leaked acid on it. Following that the computer started up as soon as power was supplied to it. The computer runs programmes properly. The computer shuts down with 1) the pull down special menu “shut down” instruction, 2) the keyboard power button followed by the return key, and also 3) the power standby button (on the back) but every time the computer then restarts on its own immediately. The only way to keep the computer shut down is to pull the plug from the wall.

Sadly I am not a technician. I can only suggest things that I have encountered in the last 22 years of using the 6400, or 36 years of being Macintosh. If it is not a hardware problem then it sounds like the computer is either being told to keep running to finish some task (unlikely), or something is stuck on in the please start up position.
How extensive was the corrosion around the leaking battery? This seems the most likely cause of the problem. Again I also suggest an incompletely seated board.

You should also consider the following:
While grounded did you press the reset button, ie after changing the battery?
Is the clock keeping accurate time when you start the computer up after a few days being unplugged?
I can't think of a control panel that would cause this to happen.
Are you using a Macintosh mouse?
I assume that you have shut off all programmes before shutting down the computer.
Have you jiggled all of the various buttons, eg the volume and the subwoofer control?
Have you tried an older operating system such as Mac OS 8?
Have you tried a different power cord? Do you have a UPS that you can plug it into to test your home power supply? Can you try plugging it into another wall outlet or a power supply in a different building?
I once purchased a used floppy drive for an original 128K machine (that had been upgraded to 512K). The seller warned me that his favourite child had a tendency to push things into openings and while he had checked there might still be something extraneous inside the drive. Get a good flashlight and flip the door on the floppy drive and the CD drive and see if there is any junk inside.
I realise that you have purchased new batteries, and that you tested them, but even reputable dealers can sell a dud. You could try a different store selling a different brand. Sadly replacing the battery on my G4 was not a solution to its problem. Worse, batteries are not cheap. One comment that I have read is to (after removing the battery) touch a wire to both ends of the connectors of the battery holder inside the computer to short it out to zero voltage. (Not the ends of the battery itself.)
I have to keep a router attached to my 6400/200 because one of the PCI cards that I have installed wont allow it to run properly without a router. The router isn't attached to anything else, just the computer.
Below please find another source that you might consult, although a rapid reading on my part did not show me any answers.

http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/legacy/powermac.perf_6400.6500.pdf

If you are not using a HDD then I don't see a problem unplugging it, although I wonder it that is good for the power supply. I have had a spare 6400/180 sitting beside my 6400/200 just in case for some 18 years.
I will let this percolate in my brain and see if anything else occurs to me. I wish I had better suggestions.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: Performa 6400/200 stays always powered ONChicco18:06:28 06/27/18 Wed

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.