Physical Examination & Diagnostic Procedures Forum.
www.PhysicalExamForum.com
www.PhysicalExaminationForum.com

VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat for Free
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Clitoral Hood Examined?

Author:
Amy (Wondering)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012, 09:17: pm

I've read that it's standard procedure for uncircumcised men to have their foreskins rolled back during a physical exam. I've experienced the female equivalent--having my clitoral hood briefly retracted during the genital exam. It's just been a visual inspection--not had a doctor touch my clitoral glans.
A couple years ago, I changed to a new health insurance plan and had to switch doctors. This new doctor did not pull back on the hood--and I was too embarrassed to mention it. For the other females here: do your doctors include it during the exam?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Clitoral Hood Examined?

Author:
Aquila
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 26, 2012, 03:08: pm

Since no lady answars, I can give my view.

In a good exam all angles in the vulva should be loooked at in order to detect beginning cancer or infections.

The new doctor does a bad job, which may have two reasons:

- Spare time to profit from as many patients as possible.

- Being afrai of doing something that could be interpreted in a sexual way.

Probably both reasons are involved, whidn shows us that we live in dysfunctional societies indeed.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: Clitoral Hood Examined?

Author:
leslie (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012, 10:54: am

hi- i went to visit my mothers gynecologist after i got back from my honeymoon. he did not examine my clitoral hood. but several years later i went to a female gynecologist and she really checked my clit. i have been going to the same physician now for my annual pelvic exam and she checks my clitoral hood each time.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Clitoral Hood Examined?

Author:
Smedley (UK)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012, 12:59: pm

Leslie, did you perhaps visit your mother's gynaecologist to be checked out because you'd had intercourse for the first time, or did your return from honeymoon simply coincide with your annual examination?

I agree with Aquila that many doctors probably avoid the clitoral area because of the interpretation that could be placed on any contact made there. I don't see that they would refrain from doing so because of any time considerations though, after all it would only take a few seconds to lift the hood and visually inspect the clitoris.

From what I've heard and read about this, it seems that when any attention is paid to clitoral examination, it is more likely that it will occur in the USA, more so than in the UK. Having said that, women here are not subject to annual gynaecological checks in the way they usually are in America, where they are generally done for insurance purposes. Women in the UK will usually only see a gynaecologist if there is a specific issue which has been raised by their GP, though of course some women do opt for full annual medical checks from private providers which will include pelvic examination if they request it.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Clitoral Hood Examined?

Author:
leslie (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 05:46: pm

dear smedley- to answer your question of 10-27-12, yes we had just returned from our honeymoon. the first thing that had worried me was that i had bleed for two days after my hymen was ruptered on the first night. what was real problem was i was hurting so bad down there between my legs . the doctor just told me that i had a bad case of " honeymoon cistitus" and all i had to do was drink plenty of cranberry juice and refrain from sex ffor a day or two. and one other thing that he told me was to always uriniate after having sex. that night i was visiting with my older married sister who told me the same thing and to also buy myself a douche bag to keep myself cleaned out for my husband. of course now that i have been married for 5 years i know a lot more about sex and feminine hygiene.

Author:
Smedley (UK) to Leslie.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2012, 09:45: am

Leslie, thanks for answering my queries.

It's a pity your honeymoon was marred by the problem you described, it must have been very distressing and worrying for you. Cystitis was often referred to as "honeymooners' disease", but it's an expression that is rarely heard these days. I suppose that's because of the way society has changed.

Cranberry juice can be very useful in preventing and alleviating urinary tract infections, and it can be obtained in tablet form from health supplement suppliers. Depending on the strength of the tablets, just a couple can deliver the equivalent of a carton or two of juice - more economical and convenient, but also a boon if you don't like the taste of the juice!

Had anyone, such as a doctor, ever mentioned to you that there could be bleeding when a hymen is broken? Of course it can be brought about by reasons other than intercourse, such as the use of tampons, but I have heard of some girls having 'pre-marital' pelvic exams to ensure that an intact hymen would not not present a problem.

Also, you mentioned in your first post that the female gynaecologist "really examined your clit" - by this, did you mean she in some way paid particular attention to your clitoris?

Author:
Sara
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012, 04:58: pm

I do get my clitoris examined. I see a dr. who practices traditional eastern Medicine and his exams spend more time on the head, feet, mouth, and genitals compared to Western medicine.

He pulls the clit hood up in toward my stomach and keeps it held back while examining the labia. I was embarrassed the first time he did it because I could feel my clitoris pop out but now I've gotten to used to that part of the exam

Author:
Smedley (UK) to Sara.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012, 06:03: pm

Sara, has the doctor explained why he keeps your clitoral hood held back whilst he examines your labia? Does he keep it that way while checking the inner labia as well as the outer?

Are you in the USA? I'm just wondering if you have this examination as your 'annual' for insurance purposes. Thanks.

Author:
Sara
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012, 02:23: pm

Hi Smedley,
To answer your questions, I live in India for most of the year. This doctor is in India but I am American.

The Doctor does keep my clitoral hood pulled up while examining both the outer and inside labia. A nurse said it's to observe the blood flow/ check the circulatory system.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Clitoral Hood Examined?

Author:
Smedley (UK) to Sara
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012, 07:53: am

Hi Sara. Thank you for your answers.

I'd be interested to hear how else the examinations you have in India differ from the American 'model'. For example, I have read a few accounts from American women living in France who've been surprised when visiting gynaecologists in that country to be told to strip naked in the doctor's presence and not to have been provided with a gown or a sheet with which to cover themselves. How is this handled in your exams?

Also, is a breast examination done? How frequently do you have these checks? Are they done for insurance purposes, as they tend to be in America? Thank you.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Clitoral Hood Examined?

Author:
Gilbert
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012, 04:23: pm

Smedley said : "I have read a few accounts from American women living in France who've been surprised when visiting gynaecologists in that country to be told to strip naked in the doctor's presence and not to have been provided with a gown or a sheet with which to cover themselves."

=> I confirm this.
In France gynecological exams are usually done fully nude, without any gown. The majority of the women are used with that and it is not a problem.

Author:
Thomas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 08:43: am

I have no idea whether or not a doctor should examine the clitoris as part of a physical, but one of the reasons for not doing so, as suggested by Aquila above is puzzling.

If this area should be examined, the doctor should not be afraid to do so because he fears being accused of doing something wrong. First of all, male doctors usually have a female chaperone in the room. Second, since female examiners have no such fears if they are examining a male. why would a male doctor be afraid?

Author:
Dave
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 12:41: pm

I would think this examination on a female is akin to skinning back the foreskin on a male. Anybody else think they are similar?

Author:
leslie (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2012, 10:32: am

dear smedley- to answer your question of 11-1-12 , no i did not have a pre martial exam. at the present time i visit my gynecologist every 3 months. each time when she checks me while doing the pelvic exam she will pull back the hood of my clitoris and examine it. the reason that i have to get checked so much is that i have break through bleeding during my cycle and the doctor has had me try about 7 or 8 different types of birth control pills and none of them has helped me. the last time that i got checked she told me that i may be allergic to hormonal birth control which is a rare occurance but it does happen and that she may have to put me on some type of barrier birth control for a while .

Author:
Jackie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013, 05:45: pm

I know my Doctor did when I had my first gyne exam, I know because he told me what he was doing, he explained everything.

Author:
willie T
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 04:06: am

A friend of mine was examined in a teaching hospital while the male doctor was instructing some medical students both male and female. When doing the exam of her genitals he pulled back her clitoral hood and told the students that it was important to do this although many doctors didn't. He exposed her clitoris and when he touched it she became sexually aroused and her clit became engorged. The doctor said this is normal and healthy. He asked my friend if she felt any pain. She said no but that it made her wet. Her wetness and embarrassment increased then he had each student also examine her. She told me that she almost came when a female student lingered over her examination.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.
Rectal Temperature, Normal 100.2 F or Less.
Visit the Rectal Temperature Message Board.