VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]
Subject: Re: I need information on Hallandale Beach , Update 1-8-06

Author:
Rich B
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 19:20:38 01/08/06 Sun
In reply to: kenneth hughes 's message, "Re: I need information on Hallandale Beach" on 08:25:55 10/06/02 Sun

>>Lance,
>
>Hallandale beach is rather poor & trashy. However, it
>is the direction you want to take, then work north to
>the Diplomat. There are three old wrecks at Hallandale
>Beach. Coins used to be found there in pre-dredging
>days. At least one of the wrecks was associated w/ a
>naval engagement known as the "War of Jenkins Ear."
>People in the Broward Co. Underwater Marine Council
>told me the wrecks are now predominantly buried under
>the beach.
>
>Kenneth
Hi,
I'm looking for info on theses Wrecks,"Jenkins War" (off Hallandale)as A name of a ship,I have a 6' Chain chair that was made from the 4" black chain that was found on the beach when the Cannons were discovered(1930s?), funny story is, were my Granfather found this Chain chair was behide his upholstery shop on Dixie hwy.(back in the early 70s)
The history is that,, My grandfather would use the Bathrooms/outhouse outside his shop and Trip over something every time he walked outside, So, he had one of his workers try to Dig it up, So, this guy, started digging up what looked to be Chain links that were welded together, So, he's digging and digging link by link All day,the hole size dug to pull out this chair was 3 foot square by 6 foot deep,after they cleaned it up, My gramps had a friend come out that was part of Hallandale Historical society,his name was Mr. Moffit,after they did a little research, they found out, that the Man that Owned the shop before my gramps was a welder,and he found the chains at the time the beach was being dredged,at the beach(around the 30s) he welded it into the form of a chair,Looks like a Kings Chair it has a "V" in the middle at the head.
Now, as the story goes,(I'm Told)he buryed it to hide from the authorities or just buried it for storage. Per that was what,The old timers did.
Well, at the time when my gramps dug this Chair up Mr.moffit had offered him $2,000 for it (for the Bank of Hallandale Lobby)and Gramps turned him down.
Well, here I am looking for more info. on this shipwreck and the Laws of property.
From what I understand/told 4" black Steel chain links were found when the cannons were found the links are hand forged, my thing is,, From where Spain? or G.B.?
Also, what are the laws of being found,, when the Corps Dredged the beach?
Also, what would an over 200 yr old chain be worth?
I'm trying to get as much info. I can to document for sale.
Thanks for any info. on this matter.
and it just goes to show there's Stuff, where you would least expect it.
Rich B.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.