>
VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Wed, May 18, 04:40:37pmLogin ] [ Main index ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]2 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 21:29:26 11/14/10 Sun
Author: TerriC
Subject: Here's an excerpt from Diana's blog. No mention of what book - but she did confirm that it's Raymond's voice.

PROLOGUE

Copyright 2010 Diana Gabaldon

"In the chilly season, when the air grows cold and the spiders die, comes a thin time. The days are short, so all the light of them is concentrated, squeezed between the dawn and dark. This is why the light is different, and each thing has a Shadow. This is when the other worlds draw close, and the barriers between grow thin. In a thin time, they say, you must be careful, because you might walk through a cobweb unthinking, and find yourself Elsewhere.

There is more than one other world; no one knows how many. Some beasts can see one; the dogs will sometimes stare at a blank space on the wall of a cave, and their hackles rise at what they see.

Sometimes, I think I see it, too."

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> This is the prog]logue from the book about Raymond. There has been at least one other excerpt from that book, but it's a long way from finished (I believe). -- jayn, 09:46:36 11/15/10 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Ahhh... which Raymond? -- Pat D in PA, 15:40:26 11/19/10 Fri

Raymond, as in Monsieur Raymond from DiA? Or the Raymond Donner referred to?

Pat D in PA

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Raymond who had the apothocary in Paris in DIA, and who was most probably a warlock, and also the Raymond who sent Donner, Otter-tooth and the others back. Diana has said (not in an except but just plain told us) that Raymond is a TT, he is very old, (pre-Viking), and he is Claire's ancestor. We don't know for 100% that there is only 1 Raymond but I think we can be pretty sure. -- jayn, 08:51:19 11/21/10 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I totally got shivers from this. Very important in an opening line of a story or chapter, in fact I have been known to put books down if I'm not grabbed by the first sentence. Needless to say, I've read the Outlander series more than once! -- LadyJohn, 14:10:14 02/21/11 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.