VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 19:51:30 04/25/15 Sat
Author: Shadow
Subject: Episode 112: Lallybroch

Okay, I’m just going to say it. I didn’t like the writing for this episode. I think Jenny comes off as a cast-iron bitch who resents both Jamie and Claire, Claire as an interfering besom, Jamie as an incompetent adolescent, and Ian as a doormat. I understand about adaptations and making changes from the book to fit the one-hour window and advance the story sufficiently so that there is time to include all the vital stuff in the remaining episodes, but wow. These were some heavy duty changes. Yes, they had a big fight first thing in the books, but then it was over and Jenny was delighted to have Jamie back, even cautiously welcoming Claire. Instead, Jenny scowled through almost this entire episode as if he’d come to steal the estate from her and treated Claire like a gold-digger. Lallybroch has always been Jamie’s with Jenny as steward and in the books she has always known and accepted this. What is more, Jamie’s father has trained Jamie since Willie’s death to run the place and he’s neither incompetent nor stupid. I think showing Jamie failing in this task is a wrong choice, and where the heck is Murtagh??

There was some good stuff—-the very opening scenes of the approach to the estate and the scene in the graveyard were very good. The Jenny/BJR stuff was creepy and appalling (as it should be). The business with the mill wheel was a good job of streamlining the book too, though I missed the red flannel drawers and Granny McNab. (Not that the trade-off of a nearly nekkid Jamie wasn’t a great consolation prize.) I still thought the acting was great, costumes awesome, sets and art design brilliant, but the writing loses major points on this one. I’m hoping the next episode will pay off the debt they’ve incurred here and redeem the story for me.

Okay, there’s my two cents. Feel free to disagree!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> I think you're bang on. Jenny was welcoming to Jamie and glad to have him home once they cleared up the misunderstanding, helping him prepare for his debut as laird in the book. Jenny was bitchy and calling Claire a trollop before even being introduced was low. Jamie was portrayed as 'playing laird' and making grand gestures that he would not have made as he took his responsibility as steward very seriously. There was a review that put some perspective on it and maybe it will play out. The graveyard scene and the scene at the mill somewhat redeemed the episode. Anyone know why the captcha is active on this board now? I'm signed in. -- kgp, 04:36:21 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> oh - and little BJR's floppy debut was very interesting. -- kgp, 04:37:39 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I am so mad that male frontal nudity and penis view is for a rape scene and not a love scene...what we don't get it that he can't get it up and you have to show us that??? PLEASE!! Ridiculous! If we are going to get male frontal nudity it should be for some of the wonderful sex Diana wrote as part of a marriage -- BetsyG, 06:42:40 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Well, now I disagree. We have plenty of gratuitous female nudity and I thought this was a nice bit of casual male nudity that enhanced the story and played up the ugliness of the encounter. Brilliantly photographed with subtle lighting, it was still shocking. BIG Kudos to Tobias for being so into the role that he was comfortable with it. I don't feel that I am entitled to see anyone's naughty bits if they don't want to display them and if Sam wants to keep his to himself, I respect his choice. Some of his fans so rabid that it’s understandable that he might want to keep his private bits private. And I’d add that I don’t need a graphic visual of every love scene in the books at this point. Unless it actually contributes to the story, fade to black is fine with me. -- Shadow, 12:35:59 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> I have a feeling we'll be seeing much more of Little Jack than we really want to in the coming episode. -- kgp, 09:54:51 04/27/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> I'm not sure how they can do it in a love scene... I mean, we know in the books Jamie is always ready for it. We'd have to see him in need of the blue pill, because I don't think it's reasonable to ask Sam to rise up (ahem) to the task -- it wouldn't be comfortable for him, and much less for Cait, I don't think. In fact, IMO, the sexier scene so far was in 1x11, with both of them fully clothed. It was very tender and beautifully done, and all we saw was a bit of Cait's thigh and the expression on their faces. -- Rita, 14:40:17 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> You hit it right on the head Shads. I felt the same way. I didn't like the way they made Jamie seem like such an arrogant arse over "being Laird" and while Jenny was standoffish toward Claire, she wasn't quite the bitch they made her in the show. Once again, they had to create drama and action, where I don't think it was that necessary to do. The rest of it was great, a lot of dialogue straight out of the book. -- Colly, 05:00:02 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> Did anyone else notice that some of the wool wauking ladies were now tennants come to pay thier rents? -- Kim G, 05:14:38 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I didn't notice that but they have a pool of extras that they pull from so no doubt the same people show up in different locations. -- Colly, 05:59:03 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Yes I did notice the repeat extras I am surprised that they did that so obviously since those wool walking were Column's tenants not Lallybroch's -- BetsyG, 06:44:03 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> Not much to disagree with Shadow.I wanted peacefulness that Claire and Jaime find at Lallybroch and DG imparts in O and they spent so much time on the angst that we didn't ever get that except for 30 seconds at the end. We missed Claire schooled by Jenny in the running of the estate which is important for her 18th century education.I get that they had to advance the show but this ep felt more like advancing it at the cost of the book in many ways. I guess I am too invested in my favorite novel. I am taking deep breaths now because we get less episodes for DIA. I do believe Connelly as Jenny now.I wish we had seen her sweeter side, I wish Ellen's portrait had the pearls I wish for a sweet married sex scene either in that bed or out in fields, and I wish we had seen the red underwear. But I was grateful for the reason I married you scene, the graveyard scene with Jenny and Jaime and the adaptation of the Ian tale of marrying Jenny to Claire, all worked well with this Outlander. -- BetsyG, 07:13:18 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I also thought Jenny came across as too bitchy. I had a quick re-read of the relevant chapter this morning and she simply wasn't that nasty. I still enjoyed watching the episode, but if you asked me to order the episodes in order of preference this would be my least favourite. The whole tone of the family reunion was different to the books. Jamie's return to Lallybroch is one of my favourite parts of Outlander as he finds some peace and happiness as he quickly settles back into being Laird. It was a far easier process in the books than it was last night. But hey ho! I'm still enjoying the series, but I was taken by surprised at the difference in tone between the series and the book. -- albion, 07:51:12 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I'm starting to forget scenes in the book, and haven't re-read on purpose ..I enjoy the show more that way. I don't like Jenny (not till MOBY) so her portrayal doesn't bother me. I don't know where drunk cocky Jamie came from? I enjoyed it though. Anyone notice Duncan Innes? I think they are introducing him early. I still I to watch with captions but Jamie did say Innis in another scene. All in all, I found the pace peaceful...the calm before the storm. -- M&M, 08:25:51 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I kept finding myself saying "That isn't how Jamie is." or "Jenny isnt that mean.". I pretty much agree with what everyone has said. I found the scene coloring very interesting when Jamie was remembering when he was last at Lallybroch. -- LisaW, 09:01:12 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I'm still jarred by deviations from the book but have come to accept that this is necessary if we are to move forward in the story. BUT changing the tone of events is not OK with me and I don't know why they would want to do that and piss off the major part of their audience, us, the book lovers! -- PD, 09:10:53 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Because we know what is REALLY going on and all the thoughts and back stories they don't have time to put in the screen. I do agree they showed the worst side of Jenny but again I think it's to save time. Hopefully we'll see the better side of her next week. Did anyone else think Lallybroch was way fancier than you pictured it? I don't know if it was the wall paper or very fancy woodwork, but I always pictured it more like a farmhouse. -- Kathy in PA, 13:30:39 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I never pictured the inside so fancy, and the maids. -- M-another-M, 19:15:37 04/27/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I'm very disappointed in Lallybroch and am getting disillusioned by the whole series. In contrast to M&M I prefer book Claire to TV Claire. JMO. -- CarolE, 09:52:41 04/30/15 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Ron talks about Lallybroch as being the ancestral home - but Brian and Ellen built it, it's not that old actually. I pictured white-washed plaster walls and wood paneling. -- kgp, 12:42:32 04/30/15 Thu

Last edited by author: Thu April 30, 2015 12:42:57   Edited 1 time.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> The Digital Lallybroch -- Sara (savouring episode 113), 17:00:48 06/03/15 Wed

It has been bugging me since they arrived at Lallybroch that the set is WAY to rich. It just is. I would have much rather seen a more accurate, historically and fictionally, house. It is far too big, and far to refined. Not even the finest seats in Scotland would have shown that sort of wealth during the era. Over the top and it detracts, for me, from the feel of the story.

I am glad I am not the only one ; -)

[ Edit | View ]

[> Jenny didn't bother me, as I was never much of a fan. I thought Laura Donnelly was very good. Incompetent & arrogant Jamie I did find very hard to swallow. The man was groomed to be laid from a tender age, and he is an excellent manager. I can see him not collecting the rent from a tenant in trouble, but he'd do it quietly, and would never have a public free-for-all. I don't see what was accomplished with this, except if the intention was to show how he'd listen to Claire when she calls him to task. As always, I have the most trouble with deviations from the book, the more they feature my favourite scenes. I felt Claire's "I love you" was rushed -- just as last week's Craigh na Dun moments were too, IMO. We know she seldom says it, and it's actually a big deal for her to "say the words". Two additional lines of dialogue would convey that. But all in all, a very good episode. Tipsy Jamie was very endearing, and Lallybroch was gorgeous. I want those fabrics on my walls! -- Rita, 14:32:32 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> . "The man was groomed to be laid from a tender age," that's the most perfect typo I've seen in a long time - lol! -- kgp, 16:51:40 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> ROTFL! Freudian slip... ;) -- Rita, 17:01:18 04/26/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> RITA that is the BEST TYPO!!! we need to keep that one in the archives somehow!!!! -- BetsyG, 17:13:39 04/27/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Agree! LOL -- DonnaS, 06:08:42 04/28/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> I'm grateful to voy pages, but extremely difficult to read all the responses, the print is way too difficult for me to read, that said, I've accepted the changes, maybe I'm not so invested emotionally in all the details of the differences-it's so amazing to see this show come to life. I look at the big picture, not the minute details of everything. I wrote a comment on one of the fb pages that we are all entitled to our opinion & amazing that we have so many outlets to share our opinions. -- LadyBlair, 17:51:43 04/28/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> Well, I just watched it for a 2nd time yesterday and like the portrayal of Jamie in less. I think what he said that struck me as really odd the first time, and more so this time, is when Jenny had the maids move her things from the Laird's room. Claire said "no", but Jamie says so cocky, "well I am the Laird". so UN-Jamie-like. Yeah, I understand what they were attempting to do with this episode, but they didn't need to change his fundamental personality to create tension and stress at the homecoming. I still think Jenny and Ian are cast beautifully. I also didn't like the "I love you" scene at the windowsill...seemed forced. -- conmama, 05:27:47 05/01/15 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> I read somewhere, maybe compuserve?, that DG responded to the complaints about this episode by saying that in the book, we are getting everything from Claire's point of view and Claire is in love with Jamie and so may not see him in the same way as others. This means it is entirely possible that he could have been acting like an arrogant ass in the eyes of others, but Claire just didn't view it that way. -- Colly, 13:55:47 05/04/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.