VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 19:17:14 05/02/15 Sat
Author: swarl
Subject: Well I thought this one was terrific. I love the life in Lallybroch. The way they condensed the story makes lots of sense and we got many of our favorite lines. Plus, the camera work was fabulous.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> I loved this episode as well, but that is no surprise as I've enjoyed each and every one. As Cait said way, way, way back before we'd seen even one episode, she hoped the series would be an addition to the Books, and so every time there is direct dialogue, I feel like I've found a wee gem. This episode was full of such gems, and seeing Claire and Jamie's scene as they talked about not having children nearly broke my heart. -- Lady-Jane, 08:30:51 05/03/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I don't think I was taking so much with the last two, I can't put my finger on way but nothing grabbed me. Sam and his eyes darting is wearing on me a bit. I love it but the second is not doing what the first half did but I haven't watched with podcast either yet. -- M&M, 12:56:26 05/03/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Well, I'm glad you said something because I haven't been enjoying these last few episodes that much either. I find myself feeling disappointed when it's over. I think they are doing as good of a job as anyone could, but I find that SH expressions are limited and he does the same 5 or so over and over and over (I know what you mean about the darting eyes). I think Catriona has much more variation in her acting. She does seem sweeter than Book Claire, but so much of what we read is Book Claire's thoughts. My own thoughts many times are harsher and more judgeental than my outright behavior and actions. DH never read the books, but is watching the show with me. He loves the scenery, but finds the show OK, but a bit slow. Personally, I'm not sure I would have kept watching it if I wasn't an Outlander fan already. -- conmama, 05:13:36 05/04/15 Mon

Some things they say just don't work as well on the screen as they do reading it. For instance..Jenny explaining what it feels like to be pregnant. Starts out making sense, then ends with talking about a man's orgasm inside you. Huh? I'd be scratching my head listening to that for the first time. Didn't work for me.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I posted inside, too. -- conmama, 05:14:08 05/04/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Me too. I'm not losing myself in the series. Not sure what it is. Maybe it's too apparent they are acting. I was concerned about this when first I heard they were going to do a series/movie/whatever. My first reaction was not to watch but then it was how can I not. I've always been a "book" Claire fan but I'm not so much a "series" Claire fan....JMHO. -- CarolE, 09:58:09 05/06/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> I loved the episode too. I especially liked Sam's performance. His eyes are the only part of his face that are Jamie to me. I love his eyes. -- Janet H., 16:25:47 05/03/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I was disappointed. I wanted Ian and Jamie to wait out the delivery and Claire to come and find them. I wanted MacNab to be the one to betray Jamie. I thought the whole fabricated plot line of the Watch and Horrocks was annoying. I'm almost afraid to watch what sort of mess they make out of the rest of The Book. -- kgp, 08:10:31 05/04/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I think the whole Jamie comforting Claire would have made more sense (and we would have believed Jamie's reason) if we could have seen Jamie and Ian waiting it out listening to Jenny scream and seeing Ian's anguish. Many things in the series are not having an impact on me, or others, because of what they are pushing aside, or hurrying through. I think the first half was a A-/B+, but this second half so far for me has been a B/B-. -- conmama, 10:15:13 05/04/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I don't think we were meant to believe Jamie. The whole reason why he said it was to make Claire feel better. Which is why they showed him sitting by himself still shocked. -- Janet H., 14:14:22 05/04/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I was ok with the story change in this one, with the exception of McNab not being the one to betray Jamie. In listening to the podcast, they brought Horrocks back because they just really liked him on screen....um, ok? That said, I can live with it and I'm glad they worked in so much dialogue straight from the books. I do feel though that they are veering further and further from the book story, which is what I was afraid of from the very beginning. I'm starting to have Hobbit flashbacks! LOL -- Colly, 13:52:40 05/04/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> The writers send somewhere, I forget where I read it, that the second season they will feel more comfortable deviating from the book. -- M&M, 14:39:55 05/04/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> that would be a huge mistake imho -- kgp, 16:18:41 05/04/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> Quick question - if so many are unhappy with the adaption, why do you keep watching? Will you finish this season but then just skip the rest? Just curious as I never keep watching shows that bug me - not enough time, and too many good books to read or good movies to see. -- Lady-Jane, 16:39:16 05/04/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I loved the first half, not as crazy for the second. I really don't have any must watch shows, I watch this and always will because it's Outlander. :) -- M&M, 17:49:06 05/04/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Hope springs eternal. I keep thinking maybe it'll get better. -- kgp, 05:44:18 05/05/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Agree. If it was a story I had known and loved, I would probably be skipping it. Obviously there is a lot of good to the series, but that doesn't mean it isn't disappointing in many ways also. I keep watching to see my new favorite character pop up (i just love Jenny and Ian). Can't wait to meet Lord John, Bree et al. I keep hoping they will do better by Jamie. I have to say I'm disappointed in his character development and I feel the connection between J&C is not as intense as last year. -- conmama, 07:31:12 05/05/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I knew from the moment we learned Outlander was being adapted into a TV series that it would never live up to my expectations (or the images I have in my head). I decided from that moment that I would enjoy the STARZ series as a separate entity. So no fretting over casting, dialogue or plot for me. I'm enjoying it for what it is - a show BASED on the books. I've accepted some or most will be loosely based. -- Scarlet A, 09:34:50 05/05/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> Disappointed -- Pamela, 18:04:19 05/04/15 Mon

Why are they changing everything so much? They're making Jamie conceited (the whole Laird thing) and Ian a wimp. (shaking hands when he kills Horrocks) None of this Watch stuff happened..... why mess with perfection? I'm pretty much done with it at this point. It started out so good, but this season it's like they're rewriting the entire thing. I'd rather just read the books again. (for the umpteenth time)

[ Edit | View ]

[> I had an odd reaction to this episode, the whole time I watched I was seeing Sam and not Jamie. I don't know why this has happened now. I've only watched it once so maybe can figure this out on review. -- PD, 07:39:57 05/05/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Probably because Jamie's characterization has been so off since ep. 1x12. Before that one, we had too little Jamie, and now we have wrong Jamie :) I do enjoy the series and will keep on watching, but I must confess episode 1x12 with Jamie as a stupid, arrogant and incompetent laird, made me wary. Things were a bit better in 1x13, but still, I don't think Jamie would get into a pointless brawl with the Watch men ("A man has to choose what's worth fighting for", remember, oh ye Outlander series writers?) nor fall for such an obvious trap in his own backyard. They only caught him because he was betrayed. Having said this, I do think Sam does wonders with the little he's been handed so far. -- Rita, 11:39:58 05/05/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Agree. Not sure where our Jamie is? What's up with these writers? -- conmama, 07:02:14 05/06/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I think part of the problem is the sequence in which scenes were actually shot. To be efficient and to save money and time they need to do all the Lallybroch externals in a sweep, all the interiors on a sound stage at some other time, be mindful of the actors' other contract obligations and time constraints. Since they needed Lallybroch exterior in ep 1x2 they would have had to jump ahead to film the others needed for later in the season. -- kgp, 07:39:57 05/06/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> i enjoyed watching the episode, don't have a lot of detail to add. It definitely is a separate entity from the books, as Matt Roberts said it's the same DNA. I only have time to listen to 1 podcast and that's Ron's--he is definitely all about the action and what looks good on tv---I know the women associated with the show, Merill (sp?) Davis, Terry D all fight for scenes and dialogue, lets hope they continue because the original story is the best, IMHO. -- LadyBlair, 15:46:35 05/06/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> I think I'm in the minority that I'm not looking forward to the Wentworth scenes, cut not for the reason you think. I just feel so much of J&C and their relationship (which is WHY I read the books) is overshadowed by BJR/Jamie. Yes, those scenes were good, but Ron seems to have gone overboard on that and other scenes and neglected the heart of the story. I feel we have, what...3 shows left...now yet ANOTHER one devoted to BJR. They really really needed to have one episode at Lallybroch with J&C and lots of dialogue. It didn't have to be slow and boring..they could have made it interesting, and show us how they became closer and closer. -- conmama, 09:33:49 05/07/15 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> good point - but I think it might hinge on how they manage the Wentworth episode. Will it be real-time or mostly in flashback as Jamie relates it to Claire at the Abbey. They've had a lot to cover and though I've been disappointed by some of the rewriting I understand they have to 'make television' and consider viewers who have not read The Book. I was talking to friends last night who are new to the series - they love The Books but have given up on the show. -- kgp, 11:14:59 05/07/15 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.