VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 22:19:48 05/29/15 Fri
Author: Shadow
Subject: Episode 116 To Ransom a Man's Soul

I just gotta say.....O. M. G.

Fabulous episode. So glad I've read the book for the richer detail but this certainly captures the essence of the story and winds the 1st volume up neatly. Sure, some favorite stuff missing, some major changes, but all in all it works. Kudos to the entire team. Amazing acting, lighting, camera work. Emmys for everyone!! And that's all I am saying for awhile.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> The episode was so difficult to watch, but was so powerful. I've understood from the beginning it's "based on" the books & had very few grumblings about omissions. I read that Sam bagged seven munro's (not sure of source,sorry) after filming this episode. I will be thinking about this for a long time. It is one thing to read about all that happened, but to see it evokes so much more emotion. -- LadyBlair, 05:07:17 05/30/15 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> Just saw it and am not sure of my reaction. The brutality was horrifying. Sam put it all out there for this episode. While Claire, BJR, and Murtagh were fabulous, Sam, as Jamie, gets the award. Very sobering episode. Will have to mull this one over for a while and then watch it again. -- Lady Linda, 12:14:05 05/30/15 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> My feelings exactly. I don't quite know how I feel about it, except that the acting was absolutely awesome. -- Rita, 19:05:52 05/30/15 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I was so blown away by the emptiness of Jaimie's eyes -- BetsyG, 07:08:29 06/01/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> I've been watching gift and looking at stills from the episode and Sam is outstanding. -- kgp, 17:47:51 06/08/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> Awesome. The whole thing, just awesome. Acting, camera work, lighting, adaptation, ensemble work. The comic duo at the end. They all did a superb job. -- Swarl, 19:01:49 05/30/15 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> The comic duo at the end was needed. DH said he really liked those two guys & the parts they played in the overall series. I was glad they lived in the series :) -- MaryJ, 20:00:09 06/05/15 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> The last episode is when was finally able to let go of The Book. This one was just beyond what I expected they would be able to accomplish in such a short time. I will need to watch it again to get the full measure but I need to live with it for a while. -- kgp, 19:30:25 05/30/15 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> I just loved it too, I don't know how they could do it any better w/o more episodes, which would be more money which I'm sure rules all that they do. I'm glad they didn't go back to France or even back to McRannochs .....it just would of been too rushed and jumpy. I always had a hard time with the Claire/Lavender/Jamie part in the book, and this episode sort of made me understand it more. -- M&M, 19:55:41 05/30/15 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> Un.Be.Liev.Ab.Le. I saw the same article Lady Blair mentioned; Sam said when the two weeks was finally done, he spent one day doing nothing but hiking. When asked about dealing with it during the 2 weeks, he said he got drunk. I can't even imagine. Anne Forester is an amazing director, Tobias and Cait, and Duncan, and Finn were fabulous, but SAM - he was completely, totally, phenomenally Jamie. I don't even know how to talk about the contents of this episode, but it was award winning in every sense of the word. -- Lady_Jane, 22:24:13 05/30/15 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> Too graphic for me. I don't believe they needed to take up so much of the show, showing him being brutally raped. Showing more of the aftermath would of gotten the point across just as well. The audience is not stupid. There should of been more of Claire pulling him out of the abyss. -- Janet H., 22:44:10 05/30/15 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> I was blown away by Tobias and Sam, from the first panning back of naked Jamie and then you realize BJR is there behind him. Gut-wrenching! That said--I wish they stayed in that dark place for longer--the saving Jamie's soul bit felt so rushed to me!! After watching him suffer so that he wanted to die (brilliant Sam!!) I felt like it was 2 minutes later that he was saying "alright, that's sorted then" I was hoping for more of the struggle! Oh, well. All in all, a decent adaptation, though so uneven for me. Can't wait to see who they cast as Roger and Bree, and how they handle DIA. -- FloraMac, 06:24:00 05/31/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I agree, I wish they had shown more of Claire pulling him back and dealing with it all. I was blown away by it, thoug. Fantastic episode and I enjoyed the adaptation. I enjoyed her talking to the priest but was surprised it didn't inclue the husband conversation. Not sure why that had that scene, does anyone understand? Sam and Tobias were just fantastic. Ok..Ii have to confession was a wee bit disappointed in not seeing Jamie full frontal like BJR. -- Conmama, 09:31:03 05/31/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I too, felt there was not enough time spent on that part. They wrestled on the floor for a few seconds, Claire said a few things, and boom, Jamie's all better. It was an absolutely amazing episode, but could have been so much better, with a few more minutes spent on that part. As well as the scene with Father Anselm...just a few more minutes to flesh out that conversation a bit more. So wish they could have had about a half hour more. -- Colly, 09:55:51 05/31/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I agree - the healing felt too rushed to me (but several of the other important parts of the series did too, for me). I was happy that they included Claire's confession w/Br Anslem...should have had more of that type of material...it didn't/couldn't happen so quick. -- MaryJ, 19:58:39 06/05/15 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> Excellent ending to volume 1. There was a lot to cover & I think the writers & directors focused on the important parts. All the actors are brilliant - they didn't even have to speak - just their facial expressions (especially Sam's) spoke volumes. I agree that Jamie "got back to normal" a little too quickly, but they only had an hour. LOL - I think Tobias is getting to be known for his "full montys"! -- Gina-C, 10:20:05 05/31/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> Just watched this episode sitting in the cafe at the grocery store here in PA (free wifi) and I am wiped. My connection kept buffering and dumping me out every 3 minutes, and I had to minimize the screen to keep the wandering eyes of others from catching a glimpse out of context, but I made it through. The acting - I'm speechless. What a way to take my mind off my own problems. I will watch again when I get home, without the dumping, I've read it and read it, over and over, knew what was coming, but was in no way prepared for the visual. -- MiladyM, 14:15:48 05/31/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> I watched it again tonight, BJR was certainly wacked, who kisses someone after they just barfed?! :) -- M&M, 22:44:40 05/31/15 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Given the general status of personal dental hygeine of the times it probably didn't make much difference to him. -- kgp, 07:34:43 06/01/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I watched it again last night with Rob's commentary. Go inside for my understanding as of now: -- Swarl, 05:51:26 06/01/15 Mon

If you think of the arc of the plot for the next two books, this scene had to be truly awful. It stays alive in Jamie even after Culloden, and determines what happens in DIA.
If you look at the boat scene again, Jamie is not 'recovered', he is the walking wounded,. He's willing to keep living, but with no great enthusiasm.
Usually the full Monty would be jarring for me, but in this case, Tobias walking towards us was simply what happened next. I agree it could have easily been otherwise, but it didn't seem gratuitous. However, they had to work camera angles to keep Sam's modesty. Glorious camera angles of an amazing bod,. And hadn't he already shown us enuf of his soul?
Father Anselm gives Claire some peace, so she can continue. It wasn't woven in as well as it might have been. One line to the other Monk about sitting with Mary would have made it all much clearer , since her faith had not been mentioned.
Also, I like the regimental stuff at the beginning. It was easy to forget that this horror was going on inside a barracks and thwt BJR was part of that regimentation . Great contrast
Droughltlwnder has begun. Where do we vote for Emmys?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Agreed - the contrast with 'normal' daylight on the outside with the f***ed-up darkness on the inside was stirring. -- kgp, 07:40:50 06/01/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> The rape scene was brutal and I have to commend Sam and Tobias, they gave it everything they had. I couldnt take my eyes off Sam's blank stare.The psychological torture was somehow worse, BJR bringing Claire to mind, using his fingers, his hair,bastard! I cheered when the cows arrived. I wondered how Murtagh got 205 pounds of dead weight on his shoulders like a sack of potatoes. The scenes with Jamie and Murtagh and Claire at The Abbey were very powerful, but I think this section needed much more time. One minute he's ready to die, next "we're off to France." The ending came too soon for me and it was rushed. In the matter of a few sentences we're off to France to change history and by the way, I'm pregnant. I needed more. The bits of humor were a nice touch to break up the heaviness of the episode. Angus kissing Claire was good. As the ship sailed away I felt a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong I loved the show, but think it could have been better in spots.On we go to Season 2. -- CarolSR, 06:07:04 06/01/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> Agree w the rushing of Jaimie healing and am blown away by the production and acting of the torture I would have cut the angus Rupert play on the beach for some more time at the Abby but I think we will maybe get that in flashbacks in season 2 I am just so damn glad they kept the cows and didn't try to reivent that rescue (my 2nd try at posting hoping I hit send this time!) -- BetsyG, 07:06:01 06/01/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I am still a bit conflicted. I am thrilled we have this wonderful series, but I am surprised that what Ron sees as important is different than what so many long-time fans see as important to include. Sigh. Thrilled overall with the series, though, and I think this is the best we ever could have gotten. I want to watch the episode again before I comment further. -- Kim G, 07:16:10 06/01/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> ITA, Kim. I think this is the best overall that we could have wished for. I've enjoyed it, I haven't loved it. -- conmama, 08:45:26 06/01/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> Ditto to everything you said Shads, I agree completely! -- Marcie, 08:41:05 06/01/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> Watched it last night and, well, WOW! It's one thing to read the brutal scenes, it's way different to watch it...The acting was tremendous. Definitely Emmy material. I'm also disappointed that they cut the Abby part so short. I have to watch the last 2 episodes again tomorrow with friends and don't know if I'm ready to watch them BOTH in 2 hours! Sam is finally Jamie to me. The ONLY mis-casting, IMHO, in this whole thing is Menzies as Frank. After these last episodes he will always be BJR to me. I never liked Frank to begin with and I think they should have had a different actor do that part. Again, JMO. -- CarolE, 12:23:37 06/01/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Frank is so bland and uninteresting -- even with all the added side stories in the series (I found those storylines were also boring and uninteresting!) -- that he is cannibalized by BJR's personality. -- Rita, 15:42:07 06/01/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I think that seeing BJR when we see Frank is important - Claire must have too. Just as at first, she saw Frank in BJR, when she went back, I wonder how often she would have seen BJR in Frank, even knowing he wasn't F's bio dad. -- Kel, 16:42:21 06/01/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> I suspect very often, and more and more as their marriage desintegrated (even more) along the years. Also, even if Frank did not descend from BJR, he had the same genetic inheritance, as seen from their physical resemblance. -- Rita, 17:09:31 06/01/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> Ron Moore says we will see a lot more of Frank in Season 2. Fans want more Jamie and Claire, less Frank, but Moore loves Tobias Menzies. -- CarolSR, 06:00:45 06/02/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> I re-read the Abbey BJR flashbacks and there was no way they could do that on television. Jamie goes from humor to depression back and forth so much he would of looked like a lunatic with how much they had to shorten it. -- M&M, 11:05:02 06/02/15 Tue

[ Edit | View ]

[> I have now seen the episode several times. I have also read several reviews as well as a host of other people’s comments and complaints. I think that within the constraints of time and money that Ron and company have given us an amazing addition to the marvel that is Diana’s epic book. It is not the book and can never be the book. That’s okay. Going long. Best step inside >>> -- Shadow, 23:53:01 06/02/15 Tue

Devoting a minimal amount of screen time to ‘fixing’ Jamie means that the producers spent most of their time, money, and energy getting those riveting and difficult performances out of our leads in the dungeons of Wentworth. They undoubtedly have far more film of that section of the show than we have seen so far. They must. Some of this material will be necessary in future episodes as flashbacks and memories and no one—NO ONE—will want to go back and film more of it. This is one of the defining moments of Jamie’s life and you’d better believe we will see more of it in flashbacks and memories.

To everyone who has complained about the brevity of the scenes of healing in comparison to the scenes of torture and rape I ask this; what part of Sam’s, Tobias’, or anyone else’s brilliant performances would you have removed so that more time could be spent on showing Claire trying to get through Jamie’s trauma? If there had been less torture shown, would you believe or understand why Jamie felt he was unrepairable and wanted to die? The scenes are carefully structured and show a steady demolition of Jamie’s protective barriers, of his mental defenses. To show less would disrespect the work. These men gave 110% to showing the true horrors of torture and rape. They made TV history and they know it. I’ve worked in theatre and I tell you that you have to choose where it is most vital to spend your time and money. They chose correctly here. If they had failed to truly visit the horrors of Wentworth and Jamie’s destruction, the show would not be worth watching.

I was unsurprised to find the weird lavender and opium/hypnosis dream sequence cut, since they didn’t set it up with Geillis drugging Claire (which is where Claire got the idea). I think that Claire’s threat to negate his suffering by dying with him has the virtue of simplicity and gets us over the rough ground and fast as possible. No one is pretending that Jamie is all better now as many other series would have done. Jamie’s inner fortress is still broken at the end of this episode, but he has built that little emotional hut to shelter his naked psyche. He is eating again and cooperating in the escape to France. That is as far as he has healed. His true healing will take place in season 2. I’m cool with that and find it believable.

My one sorrow for the episode was that we didn’t get any of Claire’s spiritual awakening due to the time factor. This was where it happened in the book, the moment Claire finally, desperately, turns to the Divine for aid and finds the guidance she needs. I’m hopeful that we will still have that moment of enlightenment in season 2. It seems like the show has been cutting a lot of the religious overtones though, so I guess we will see.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I felt disappointed by the finale, even after I rewatched it. I would cut the "confession" (chopped up as it was, and done to a stranger, its meaning is lost), and if necessary the branding could go too (its removal accompanied by a jaunty tune made me cringe - the sole bad note in an otherwise wonderful score), and would include the bit where BJR cries and begs Jamie to tell him "I love you" (PIVOTAL moment IMO), and definitely expand on the healing process -- felt flat and rushed and like it was all about what Claire was feeling, not Jamie. The actors did wonders with the (IMO) mediocre writing in that part of the episode. But all in all, we got a good season. May the 2nd be as good. -- Rita, 05:45:38 06/03/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> They couldn't cut the branding or the removal of the brand. It's needed for season 2. That business sets up Jamie's emotional break in Paris (with Fergus) and precipitates the duel. And I, for one, liked the faster music when the brand was removed. It's "running away music" and defines a change in emotional tone. It gave voice to the idea that with the excision of the brand Jamie has agreed to move forward and that their first priority is flight from Scotland. I noticed it was the same music that was used in episode 101 when Claire first heard the gunfire after coming through the stones. I agree about the Father Anselm scene---choppy and inadequate, but maybe they will pay that off next season as well. Maybe. -- Shads, 12:44:31 06/03/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> I'd forgotten about that sequitur in DIA! You're right. Unless they don't do that bit in DIA... who knows? I watched again and the music still didn't seat well with me. But that's the only bit. All the rest of Bear McCreary's score for all episodes is wonderful. -- Rita, 11:58:58 06/04/15 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I too think they have not focused on the religious overtones of the books, which is disappointing. Maybe when they lose the baby in Season 2, it will come into play. I agree with you that the decisions made were sound. This was a defining moment in Jamie's life that reverberates for the rest of his life. And the healing didn't happen in those last few minutes - it has only just begun. I need to re-read DIA this summer! -- Debra Mc, 10:39:45 06/03/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> I don't think they will ever focus on the religious aspects of the book in depth, just because it's TV. -- M&M, 20:17:24 06/03/15 Wed

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I'm afraid you're right, Michelle. Religion is a touchy subject for a lot of people and can create a stumbling block that alienates viewers. It's really too bad, because Claire's core of quiet spirituality is a huge part of who she is and how she copes with the many terrible events that happen to her and those she loves. The way DG has written it is very real, very personal, and appeals to people of all faiths because it is honest. I'm Pagan, and I love the religious aspects of these books. Oh, well. The TV show has only an hour a week to tell the story and hold enough viewers to justify the show's existence to the execs in charge of the money. I am going to focus on being grateful we are getting as much of the book as we are. -- Shadow, 09:25:26 06/04/15 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Religion. The last TV tabu :) No, I don't think they'll ever go there. And it's a pity, because the way DG does it, it shows that a person may be deeply religious on his/her daily life without being preachy. -- Rita, 12:02:23 06/04/15 Thu

[ Edit | View ]

[> Tobias's Acting -- Gail, 19:44:42 06/04/15 Thu

I have to comment on Tobias's acting. Four days past the last episode, and I still feel for Tobias. He must have been under terrible stress. He had to play the bad guy. He had to inhabit a mad man's brain. How do you get there and then how do you get out again. I feel sorry for him. It must have been torture to be forced to be so cruel to another human being. To have those horrible thoughts in your head. How long did it take him to shake it off? Everyone has pretty well covered how Sam must have felt but I would like to hear some thoughts on Tobias.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Gail, I heard Ron Moore's podcast on this episode. Ron said that Tobias was amazing. He could turn off BJR as soon as the scene was over and be joking with the crew. Ron also said that Sam had a much harder time getting out of his head and a couple of times went off the set by himself to decompress when the scene was over. Moore also said that most of the crew was more like Sam. Nearly everyone was deeply affected by the darkness. -- Mia, 05:28:22 06/05/15 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I have such a deep respect for the professional Tobias is after reading this. Of all the actors in Outlander, he deserves an Emmy. -- conmama, 10:59:15 06/05/15 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> I think it _would_ be easier to turn off the bad guy than being the victim. To get into Jamie's headspace had to be more difficult and more traumatizing. Being BRJ would allow you to be all the bad things you ever thought about doing but never did because - well, you have a soul - but none of us ever wants to be the victim. They all impressed the hell out of me, but Sam's performance far outweighed Tobias's in the final two episodes - IMHO. I love Tobias and Cait, too; how lucky are we??? :) -- Lady-Jane, 15:31:29 06/05/15 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> My feelings exactly. They are all great, awesome actors. But to be that vulnerable and exposed, and to have to do it with few words and limited movement, was an absolutely stunning performance by Sam. Plus, IMO, I think it's much scarier being a victim than a villain -- deep down we do know we are not villains, but the fact is any of us may one day be a victim -- to make oneself go to that place has to be terrifying. -- Rita, 04:23:01 06/08/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[> I am watching the last two episodes through your eyes. I guess I am just overly sensitive and although this is fiction, I can't bring myself to watch it. I suffered through this in the book, which was bad enough. Just can't do it. *tears* -- LP, 07:24:43 06/05/15 Fri

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> His torture is a lot worse in the book. -- M&M, 19:31:39 06/06/15 Sat

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> agreed - although this was horrible enough. I think they did a good job of 'just enough'. -- kgp, 10:13:45 06/08/15 Mon

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.