VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:17:59 04/30/16 Sat
Author: Kim G
Subject: I thought the episode did a wonderful job of depicting the life of an expat wife. Having lived inmany countries as one, I cna tell you that you have to learn how to deal with staff, and you are frequently either bored out of your mind or you are very stressed about coping with your new situation. Catriona did a brilliant job of showing that.>>>>
In reply to: Shadow 's message, "Episode 203 - Useful Occupations and Deceptions" on 21:30:34 04/23/16 Sat

Often in modern expat moves, the husband IS immediately off working long hours to justify his salary. This leaves the wife to cope as best she can in a new country, with new cultural norms, and new expectations. After a couple of countries, it gets easier, but it never gets EASY. Claire has been through enough changes in her life to have developed a way of coping that she can put into place, but she still feels the same thing any wife would feel in that situation-bored. And the afternoon teas she goes to would be the earlier version of a coffee morning. (Hello. Nice to meet you. Yes, I'm new. Been here a couple of weeks. He's in wine. Hello. Nice to meet you. Yes, I'm new...) Ladies, it's tedious, and the writers did show that well.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Post Password:
Keep password cookie for 24 hours

* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.