VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 05:58:12 06/16/16 Thu
Author: Shadow
Subject: Episode 210 - Prestonpans

Written by Ira Stephen Behr, Directed by Philip John

I liked this one. I will be interested to see what everyone else thought of it. Ron Moore said that this is the only episode this season that will depict a major battle, so they wanted to do it right. I feel they succeeded.

This script has taken a great many elements from various scenes in the books and brought them together to create a story that manages to remain recognizably Outlander but adds another layer to the books we so admire. Another production company might have taken the easy path and made this episode into a simple tale of a glorious victory and daring, but not Ron and his team. Instead, this episode explores the human realities of war; the planning, pettiness, heroism, barbarism, camaraderie, boredom, fear, courage, loss of innocence, death. There are moments of humor, of valor, of frustration. There is sorrow.

Itís a powerful episode.

Yes, there is a lot of action that is not drawn from the books, but one has to allow for the story changes that the series has already implemented. Given those changes (especially to Dougalís character and situation) I was very pleased by the show.

I have to say, I was deeply moved by Rupertís claiming of Angusí sword and clutching it to his heart. That whole scene was brilliantly written and executed. The parallels of the Ross/Kinkaid friendship and the Angus/Rupert friendship was beautiful.

Part of me wishes this season had more episodes. One of the things I loved about DIA was the way it showed the deterioration of morale and growing desperation of a prolonged campaign that was badly managed. Despite the voiceover at the beginning telling us that the war has been going on for months and the Princeís mention of past victories, the passage of time here is so compressed that I doubt that viewers new to the story even realize how much is left out. Still, I thought this episode did a good job of advancing the story and providing the flavor of the book while making a wonderfully dramatic hour of television.

There are only three more episodes until Droughtlander and a lot of ground yet to cover. Iím very much looking forward to 211, written by Herself. The preview indicates that it will include the the church scene and Claireís capture, so I figure itís going to be the episode that resolves the storyline of Maryís Paris rape. Iím rather hoping that Rupert will live in this version, since Willie is off to America and Angus has already provided a heartbreaking moment of personal loss for us, and Dougal has no other followers now. Dougal still needs a loyal man left to witness Jamieís actions and force Jamieís decision to write the deed of sassine and take the field at Culloden in the season finale, so it seems possible that Rupert may survive the church.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Post Password:
Keep password cookie for 24 hours

* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.